Membrane contactor is a new type of phase-contacting technology in the form of a device that allows the direct contact of gaseous phase and liquid phase with each other, resulting in mass transfer between the two phases. It is used as a nonselective interface placed between two phases where its function is to keep the two phases separated and in contact at the same time.
It is usually manufactured with hydrophobic hollow-fiber microporous membranes which are very thin and highly porous, and which do not allow water to easily pass through the pore. It has replaced older technologies such as forced draft deaerators, vacuum towers and oxygen scavengers, and is widely demanded for degassing industrial liquids for various sustainable and eco-friendly applications such as food processing, pharmaceuticals processing, beverage production, protein extraction and crystallization, fermentation microelectronics & semiconductors oil & gas, water desalination, industrial, municipal wastewater treatment and others.
MCs are also increasingly used in many high-purity water industrial applications where deaeration towers are not suitable because of possible contamination.
The global membrane contactor market is anticipated to grow at a robust CAGR in the following years.
The growth of this market is attributed towards major pertaining factors including the increasing use of membrane contactors in degassing applications and their preference over other conventional equipment such as vacuum towers and packed towers, the advent of advanced and improved technologies in the sectors, the introduction of products and services and increasing collaborations by market players in associated industries etc.
Additionally, as a result of their compact size, MC systems are easily integrated with a separation process such as RO or IX, providing a highly efficient hybrid system. As such, they can also be used in aerobic wastewater treatment without bubble formation. This makes them highly desirable in industries worldwide and helps in the growth of the overall membrane contactor market.
Moreover, MCs are greatly efficient than other conventional contactor systems and act as their immediate alternative. The predominant advantages of MC systems over conventional column contractors are the reduction in size, operational flexibility, elevated mass transfer rate, linear scale-up, and the possibility of integration. Flood resistances absence of emulsions, no flooding at high flow rates, no unloading at low flow rates, no density difference between fluids, providing of high interfacial area, etc., are additional chemical engineering advantages, which enhance their demand and fuel the market growth.
Furthermore, anaerobic digestion-based processes are known to convert wastewater into clean water and energy. However, there are certain challenges associated with these processes. On the other hand, membrane contactors offer no foaming and no flooding, which is not possible in processes like diffused aeration used for the recovery or removal of dissolved CH4 from the anaerobic effluent. As such, the use of membrane contactors as alternatives for post-treatment of anaerobic effluents will further propel the growth of this market.
Get a brochure of this research study Click Here
However, factors such as the high investments associated with these devices coupled with a high replacement cost of membranes, the lack of awareness of these technologies and their benefits are hindering the growth of this market.
MEMBRANE CONTACTOR MARKET SEGMENTATION:
- Polyvinyl chloride
- Water and Wastewater Treatment
- Food Processing
- Pharmaceuticals Processing
- Microelectronics & Semiconductors
- Power and Steam Generation
- Oil & Gas
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
The Asia Pacific region is the largest and the fastest growing regional market for membrane contactors followed by other regions and is anticipated to register tremendous growth in the next few years owing to factors such as the fast adoption of new technology in the region, the presence of key vendors in the region, the rapidly growing population, consistently rising urbanization and the growing investments in water and wastewater projects etc. alongside other associated factors. The major contributors in the region are India, China and Vietnam.
FEW KEY PLAYERS IN MEMBRANE CONTACTOR MARKET:
- Pure Water Group
- Hangzhou Cobetter Filtration Equipment Pvt. Ltd.
- Entegris, Inc.
- PTI Pacific Pty. Ltd.
- Kværner ASA
- Lenntech B.V.
- Compact Membrane Systems
- Euwa H. H. Eumann GmbH
- 3M Company
- Romfil GmbH
- CLA.S Srl
- Veolia Environnement SA
- KH TEC GmbH
- Hydro-Elektrik GmbH
- Other Players
- In July 2019, Cobetter Filtration Equipment Co., Ltd or Cobetter Filtration entered into a partnership with Banner Industries (US). As per reports, under this partnership, Banner Industries will be distributing the products manufactured by Cobetter Filtration in the US market. The partnership is in line with Cobetter Filtration’s expansion strategy into the US market.
- In March 2020, Kværner ASA entered into a strategic agreement with Nel ASA (Norway) to collaborate on green hydrogen projects and the standardization of solutions for large scale hydrogen production plants. This collaboration agreement is said to enhance the use of the company’s membrane contactor systems.
Timeline Considered for Analysis:
- 2019: Base Year
- 2020 to 2025: Forecast Period
Research Scope and Deliverables
Overview & Executive Summary
Market Drivers, Trends, Challenges and Opportunities
Market Size and Forecast Projections
Macroeconomic Indicators of Various Countries Impacting the Growth of the Market
Extensive Coverage of Industry Players including Recent Product Launches and Market Activities
Porter’s Five Force Analysis
Market Segmentation Analysis:
Industry report analyzes the global membrane contactor market by the following segments:
Customization: We also offers customization’s in the industry report as per the company’s specific needs.
Key Questions Answered in the Global Membrane Contactor Industry Report
- What is the overall market size in 2019? What will be the market growth during the forecast period i.e. 2020-2025?
- Which region would have high demand for product in the upcoming years?
- What are the factors driving the growth of the market?
- Which sub-market will make the most significant contribution to the market?
- What are the market opportunities for existing and entry-level players?
- What are various long-term and short-term strategies adopted by the market players?