Slovakia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2015
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: EUR1.67bn (USD2.20bn) in 2013 to EUR1.68bn (USD2.26bn) in 2014; 1.0% in local currency terms and 2.5% in US dollar terms. Forecast higher than in Q414.
- Healthcare: EUR6.02bn (USD7.95bn) in 2013 to EUR6.09bn (USD8.16) in 2014; 1.2% in local currency terms and 2.7% in US dollar terms. Forecast higher than in Q414.
Slovakia's risk score in Q115 indicates the country has one of the best business environments in the Central and Eastern European region, although its ranking is moderated by its less-than-impressive rewards score. Consequently, Slovakia has an RRI score of 56.4 out of 100, making it now the fourth-most attractive pharmaceutical market in Central and Eastern Europe. This is two positions better than in Q414.
Key Trends And Developments
The Slovakia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features BMI Research's forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
- In November 2014, Slovak Health Minister Zuzana Zvolenska, of the ruling centre-left Smer-SD party, resigned over allegations that medical devices for a state-administered hospital were procured at abovemarket prices from a firm with political ties.
- In September 2014, Slovakian state-owned health insurer Vseobecna Zdravotna Poistovna (VsZP)'s total number of policyholders waiting to undergo planned medical procedures reportedly declined to 4,960 as of August 31 2014, the...
BMI's Slovakia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Slovakia pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's pharmaceutical and healthcare market forecasts for Slovakia, to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Slovak pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Slovak pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Slovakia.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors using our company profiles (including SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and competitive landscape tables.
BMI Industry View
An at-a-glance perspective on the latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The pharmaceuticals and healthcare SWOT outlines strategic factors that affect the basic assumptions underpinning BMIs forecast analysis, and taken together with BMIs political, economic and business environment SWOTs, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Industry forecasts to end-2019 for all key indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecasts:
BMIs Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Risk Reward Index
- Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (USDbn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (USD), hospital beds, doctors, and birth & mortality rates (all per 000 population).
- Pharmaceutical Market: Drug expenditure in USDbn, % of GDP and per capita (USD).
- Patented Drug Market: Prescription drug sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Generic Drug Market: Generic product sales (USDbn), generic sales (% of total sales).
- OTC Drug Market: OTC sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against USD, government expenditure and external debt.
BMIs Risk Reward Index provides investors (both national and multinational) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country-comparative assessment of the markets risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
A snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of the pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape
A focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, mergers and acquisitions, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and index by USD sales and % share of total sales for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMIs industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.
Hospitals' and doctors' medical fees are symptomatic of the chronic inefficiency of healthcare funding within Slovakia. This is underscored by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)'s finding that even though healthcare spending in Slovakia was 8.1% of GDP in 2012 - below the OECD average of 9.3% - the share of private funds on health expenditure in the country is 22.4%, higher than the OECD average of 19%. This indicates that funds are wasted. Nevertheless, Slovakia continues to be an attractive pharmaceutical market for large multi-nationals because it generally offers significant potential as a location for pharmaceutical research.
BMI Industry View
Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts (Slovakia 2010-2018)
Healthcare Market Forecast
Table: Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Slovakia 2010-2018)
Table: Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Slovakia 2010-2018)
Table: Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Slovakia 2010-2018)
Prescription Drug Market Forecast
Table: Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Slovakia 2010-2018)
Patented Drug Market Forecast
Table: Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Slovakia 2010-2018)
Generic Drug Market Forecast
Table: Members Of GENAS, 2011
Table: Generic Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Slovakia 2010-2018)
OTC Medicine Market Forecast
Table: Leading Prescription Medicines In Slovakia, By 2011 Volume
Table: Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Slovakia 2010-2018)
Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (Slovakia 2012-2018)
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts local currency (Slovakia 2012-2018)
Other Healthcare Data
Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
Table: GDP By Expenditure (Slovakia 2011-2018)
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Central And Eastern Europe Risk/Reward Ratings
Slovakia Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
Table: Main Causes Of Mortality And Morbidity In Slovakia
Recent Healthcare Sector Developments
Private Health Insurance
Recent Health Insurance Developments
Research And Development
Table: Members Of BITCET, 2011
Table: Members Of SLOVBIOTECH, 2010
Pharmaceutical Promotion And Advertising
Marketing Authorisation Regime
Intellectual Property Regime
Table: Indexed Price Build-Up For Prescription And Non-Prescription Medicines In Slovakia
Table: Registered Pharmaceutical Manufacturers
Table: Members Of SAFS, 2012
Table: ADL Members, 2012 (Manufacturers, unless otherwise indicated)
Merck & Co
Table: Slovakia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Slovakia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Slovakia's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Slovakia's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Pharmaceutical Expenditure Forecast Model
Healthcare Expenditure Forecast Model
Notes On Methodology
Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
Table: Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it