Cambodia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2015
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: KHR821.7bn (USD204mn) in 2013 to KHR910.8bn (USD228mn) in 2014; +10.8% in local currency terms and +11.4% in US dollar terms. Forecast slightly upgraded from previous quarter.
- Healthcare: KHR3,260.6bn (USD810mn) in 2013 to KHR3,469.7bn (USD870mn) in 2014; +6.4% in local currency terms and +6.9% in US dollar terms. Forecast unchanged from previous quarter.
Cambodia's Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Index (RRI) score for Q115 is 32.4 out of the maximum 100. The country scored below average for almost all indicators and sub-indicators including overall market expenditure, sector value growth and pensionable population. Consequently, with this low score, Cambodia ranks second-to-last out of the 19 key markets in Asia Pacific, ahead of Myanmar.
Key Trends And Developments
BMI Economic View: Cambodia has registered impressive real GDP growth over recent years, with growth driven largely by low-end...
- In December 2014, the Cambodian authorities announced plans to implement a universal healthcare programme as part of the country's 10-year National Social Protection Strategy. Projected to be in place by 2025, the scheme will be a significant improvement on current forms of coverage, including the Community Based Health Insurance scheme - which targets workers in the informal sector.
- In the same month, authorities confirmed that there were more than 100 HIV positive patients in a remote village, Roka in Cambodia. Prime Minister Hu Sen called for an investigation, as the mass infection was allegedly spread by contaminated needles used in medical treatment by an unlicensed healthcare worker.
The Cambodia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features BMI Research's forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
BMI's Cambodia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Cambodia pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's pharmaceutical and healthcare market forecasts for Cambodia, to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Cambodian pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Cambodian pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Cambodia.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors using our company profiles (including SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and competitive landscape tables.
BMI Industry View
An at-a-glance perspective on the latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The pharmaceuticals and healthcare SWOT outlines strategic factors that affect the basic assumptions underpinning BMIs forecast analysis, and taken together with BMIs political, economic and business environment SWOTs, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Industry forecasts to end-2019 for all key indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecasts:
BMIs Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Risk Reward Index
- Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (USDbn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (USD), hospital beds, doctors, and birth & mortality rates (all per 000 population).
- Pharmaceutical Market: Drug expenditure in USDbn, % of GDP and per capita (USD).
- Patented Drug Market: Prescription drug sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Generic Drug Market: Generic product sales (USDbn), generic sales (% of total sales).
- OTC Drug Market: OTC sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against USD, government expenditure and external debt.
BMIs Risk Reward Index provides investors (both national and multinational) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country-comparative assessment of the markets risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
A snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of the pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape
A focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, mergers and acquisitions, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and index by USD sales and % share of total sales for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMIs industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.
Access to healthcare and financial sustainability are two key challenges that will weigh on the effectiveness of Cambodia's universal healthcare programme. Expected to be implemented by 2025, the scheme will provide revenue earning opportunities to pharmaceutical firms with generic drug portfolios.
BMI Industry View
Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts (Cambodia 2010-2018)
Healthcare Market Forecast
Table: Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Cambodia 2010-2018)
Table: Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Cambodia 2010-2018)
Table: Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Cambodia 2010-2018)
Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (Cambodia 2012-2018)
Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Asia Pacific Risk/Reward Ratings
Cambodia Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
Research & Development
Intellectual Property Issues
Pricing And Reimbursement
PharmaProduct Manufacturing (PPM)
Cambodia Pharmaceutical Enterprise
Table: Cambodia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Cambodia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Cambodia's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Cambodia's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Pharmaceutical Expenditure Forecast Model
Healthcare Expenditure Forecast Model
Notes On Methodology
Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
Table: Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it