Malaysia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2015
Headline Expenditure Projections
Risk/Reward Index : Malaysia's Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Index (RRI) score for Q115 is 58.9 out of 100, making it the eighth most attractive pharmaceutical market in the Asia Pacific region. It posts above-average scores for every indicator.
- Pharmaceuticals: MYR6.60bn (USD2.10bn) in 2013 to MYR7.22bn (USD2.25bn) in 2014; +9.3 % in local currency and +7.6% in US dollar terms. Forecast revised down from last quarter to better suit current market conditions.
- Healthcare: MYR40.27bn (USD12.78bn) in 2013 to MYR43.79bn (USD13.68bn) in 2014; +8.7% in local currency and +7.1% in US dollar terms. Forecast unchanged from last quarter's figures.
Key Trends And Developments
In November 2014, Health Minister Dr Subramaniam stated that Malaysia attracted over 770,000 foreigners seeking healthcare at the country's private hospitals in 2013, with Indonesians accounting for around 56.76% of the total. The number of Indonesians travelling for healthcare to Malaysia stood at over 437,000: more than 27,000 Indians, about 22,300 Japanese and 21,000 Chinese people. The country also recorded health tourism from other nations, including Libya (about 19,000), Britain (17,000), Australia (13,300), the US (12,300), Bangladesh (about 12,000) and the Philippines (10,500). About 95 foreign medical specialists, including 18 female specialists, were practicing in Malaysia as of the end of September 2014.
The Malaysia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features BMI Research's forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
BMI's Malaysia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Malaysia pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's pharmaceutical and healthcare market forecasts for Malaysia, to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Malaysian pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Malaysian pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Malaysia.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors using our company profiles (including SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and competitive landscape tables.
BMI Industry View
An at-a-glance perspective on the latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The pharmaceuticals and healthcare SWOT outlines strategic factors that affect the basic assumptions underpinning BMIs forecast analysis, and taken together with BMIs political, economic and business environment SWOTs, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Industry forecasts to end-2019 for all key indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecasts:
BMIs Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Risk Reward Index
- Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (USDbn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (USD), hospital beds, doctors, and birth & mortality rates (all per 000 population).
- Pharmaceutical Market: Drug expenditure in USDbn, % of GDP and per capita (USD).
- Patented Drug Market: Prescription drug sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Generic Drug Market: Generic product sales (USDbn), generic sales (% of total sales).
- OTC Drug Market: OTC sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against USD, government expenditure and external debt.
BMIs Risk Reward Index provides investors (both national and multinational) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country-comparative assessment of the markets risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
A snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of the pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape
A focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, mergers and acquisitions, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and index by USD sales and % share of total sales for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMIs industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.
Malaysia's 2015 budget reinforces our upbeat outlook on the country's pharmaceutical market. Rising healthcare expenditure plans to improve medical access and efforts to mitigate the impact of the Goods and Service Tax on medicine prices will provide companies with significant revenue - earn ing opportunities. However, downside risks to our outlook include further economic slowdown forecast for 2015, worries of an increasing number of imitation drugs and growing political differences within both the o pposition and ruling coalitions.
BMI Industry View
Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts (Malaysia 2010-2018)
Healthcare Market Forecast
Table: Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Malaysia 2010-2018)
Table: Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Malaysia 2010-2018)
Table: Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Malaysia 2010-2018)
Prescription Drug Market Forecast
Table: Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Malaysia 2010-2018)
Patented Drug Market Forecast
Table: Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Malaysia 2010-2018)
Generic Drug Market Forecast
Table: Generic Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Malaysia 2010-2018)
OTC Medicine Market Forecast
Table: Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Malaysia 2010-2018)
Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (Malaysia 2012-2018)
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts local currency (Malaysia 2012-2018)
Other Healthcare Data
Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
Table: Economic Activity (Malaysia 2009-2018)
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Asia Pacific Risk/Reward Ratings
Malaysia Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
Table: 2011 Entry Points Projects Summary
Table: Main Features Of 1Care
Healthcare Sector Developments
Table: Public Sector And Private Sector Healthcare Developments
Research & Development
Table: Drug Applications by Type, 2002-2010
Table: Registered Pharmaceutical Products by Type, 2002-10
Intellectual Property Issues
Table: Leading Malaysian Pharmaceutical And Healthcare Companies
Table: Drug Wholesalers & Importers, 2002-2010
Pharmaceutical Retail Sector
Chemical Company Of Malaysia
Merck & Co
Eli Lilly Malaysia
Table: Malaysia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Malaysia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Malaysia's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Malaysia's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Pharmaceutical Expenditure Forecast Model
Healthcare Expenditure Forecast Model
Notes On Methodology
Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
Table: Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it