Egypt Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2015
Headline Expenditure Projections
Risk/Reward Index: An improving economic and political outlook for Egypt means that the country remains a moderately attractive commercial opportunity for multinational pharmaceutical companies. In our Q115 Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Index (RRI) Egypt's score of 41.9 out of 100 is lower than the Q414 score of 46.4. Its status in the Middle East and Africa region has not improved, and the country has dropped to 13thposition, down from last quarter when it was the 12thmost attractive market in the region.
- Pharmaceuticals: EGP16.55bn (USD2.41bn) in 2013 to EGP17.66bn (USD2.49bn) in 2014; +6.7% in local currency terms and 3.4% in US dollar terms. Forecast broadly in line with Q414.
- Healthcare: EGP84.76bn (USD12.33bn) in 2013 to EGP95.80bn (USD13.49bn) in 2014; +13.0% in local currency terms and 9.4% in US dollar terms. Forecast unchanged from Q414.
Key Trends And Developments
The Egypt Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
- In December 2014, the Export Council of Medical Industries began a new plan for the expansion of Egyptian exports to a number of African, Asian and European markets in order to make up for the loss in export trade to Libya, Iraq, Syria and Yemen - due to the political situations in those countries. The Export Council's promotional visit to Romania resulted in the signing of an agreement to export Egyptian medicines and medical supplies to government hospitals in Romania. Mohi Hafez, a member of the Export Council, confirmed that the Export Council is planning to...
BMI's Egypt Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Egypt pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's pharmaceutical and healthcare market forecasts for Egypt, to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Egyptian pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Egyptian pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Egypt.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors using our company profiles (including SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and competitive landscape tables.
BMI Industry View
An at-a-glance perspective on the latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The pharmaceuticals and healthcare SWOT outlines strategic factors that affect the basic assumptions underpinning BMIs forecast analysis, and taken together with BMIs political, economic and business environment SWOTs, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Industry forecasts to end-2019 for all key indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecasts:
BMIs Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Risk Reward Index
- Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (USDbn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (USD), hospital beds, doctors, and birth & mortality rates (all per 000 population).
- Pharmaceutical Market: Drug expenditure in USDbn, % of GDP and per capita (USD).
- Patented Drug Market: Prescription drug sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Generic Drug Market: Generic product sales (USDbn), generic sales (% of total sales).
- OTC Drug Market: OTC sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against USD, government expenditure and external debt.
BMIs Risk Reward Index provides investors (both national and multinational) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country-comparative assessment of the markets risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
A snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of the pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape
A focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, mergers and acquisitions, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and index by USD sales and % share of total sales for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMIs industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.
Recent developments have led us to hold a more positive outlook for Egypt's pharmaceutical and healthcare market s . An increased healthcare budget for 2015, combined with the government's efforts at developing the local manufacturing industry and combating medicine shortages and counterfeit drugs are all positive developments. We expect Egypt's relative political stabilit y and positive economic outlook to further increa se interest from foreign pharmaceutical companies .
BMI Industry View
Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts (Egypt 2010-2018)
Healthcare Market Forecast
Table: Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Egypt 2010-2018)
Table: Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Egypt 2010-2018)
Table: Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Egypt 2010-2018)
Prescription Drug Market Forecast
Table: Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Egypt 2010-2018)
Patented Drug Market Forecast
Table: Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Egypt 2010-2018)
Generic Drug Market Forecast
Table: Generic Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Egypt 2010-2018)
OTC Medicine Market Forecast
Table: Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Egypt 2010-2018)
Pharmaceuticals Trade Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (Egypt 2012-2018)
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts local currency (Egypt 2012-2018)
Other Healthcare Data
Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
Investment To Drive Uptick In Growth
Table: GDP By Expenditure (Egypt 2011-2018)
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Middle East & Africa Risk/Reward Index
Egypt Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
Private Healthcare Sector
Research & Development
Watch List Status
Table: HOLDIPHARMA's Joint Ventures, 2012
Domestic Pharmaceuticals Sector
Table: HOLDIPHARMA's Affiliated Companies, 2012
Table: HOLDIPHARMA's Financial Indicators, FY 2006/2007-FY2010/2011 (EGPmn)
Table: HOLDIPHARMA's Net Operating Revenue by Affiliate, FY 2010/2011 (EGPmn)
Table: Wholly Or Partially Owned Egyptian Pharmaceutical And Medical Device Companies By Parent Group
Foreign Pharmaceuticals Sector
Recent Industry Developments
Herbal And OTC Medicine
Egyptian International Pharmaceutical Industries Co (EIPICO)
South Egyptian Drug Industries (SEDICO)
Medical Union Pharmaceuticals (MUP)
Amoun Pharmaceutical Company (APC)
Table: Egypt's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Egypt's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Egypt's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Egypt's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Pharmaceutical Expenditure Forecast Model
Healthcare Expenditure Forecast Model
Notes On Methodology
Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
Table: Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it