Spain Telecommunications Report Q2 2015
Key Trends And Developments
- The mobile market grew for the first time since Q112 in Q314, up by 1.691mn, reaching 49.229mn.
- Fixed-lines continued their decline down to 1.8956mn in Q214.
- Orange España says more than one million subscribers have subscribed for its LTE-based network service which was launched in July 2013. Around 530,000 4G subscribers were added by the operator in 2013 and almost 500,000 subscribers have signed up in Q114
- FTTH subscriptions increased by 112.6% in Q214, reaching 950,000 subscribers.
EU antitrust watchdogs have reportedly opened an in-depth investigation into the EUR3.4bn (USD4.19bn) proposed acquisition of Spain-based telecoms operator Jazz Telecom (Jazztel) by France-based Orange Group as of December 2014. The regulator was not satisfied with the concessions understood to have been offered by both the firms, with a view to gain approval for the deal on November 13. It is also believed that the European Commission will reject a request from Spain's competition authority Comisión Nacional de la Competencia, to examine the case itself.
In October 2014, the Spanish infrastructure and toll roads operator Abertis outlined an ambitious...
The Spain Telecommunications Report features BMI Research's independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Spain's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Spain Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Spain.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Spain to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Spanish telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Spain's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Spain.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMIs key industry forecasts and views, covering the ARPU, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G & 4G), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series (2010-2013) and forecasts to end-2019 for all key industry indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
BMIs Telecommunications Risk Reward Index
- Fixed-line Telephony Telephone lines (000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony Mobile phone subscribers (000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; and where available, 3G & 4G subscribers (000); 3G & 4G subscribers/100 inhabitants; 3G & 4G subscribers as a percentage of overall mobile market.
- Internet Markets Internet users (000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers (000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
BMIs Risk Reward Indices provide investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country comparative assessment of a markets risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide an Indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed-line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G & 4G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and valueadded handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators, including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
Company Database A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G & 4G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. Also covers the latest updates in the markets development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMIs industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
The Telecommunications Reports draw on an extensive network of primary sources, such as multilateral organisations, government departments, industry associations, chambers and company reports.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.
The mobile market exhibited its first signs of growth in the quarter ending September 2014, following consecutive periods of decline dating back to 2012. Although this was largely due to Vodafone absorbing the MVNO customers of Ono, the market would have expanded even when excluding this transaction. This points to a more positive outlook for the market, particularly with early returns on 4G investment proving to be strong. The rise of alternative operators through lower pricing strategies has also been a success story in Spain, however, these are increasingly disappearing as larger operators acquire them. We expect M&A trends to continue over the next year or two, as the telecoms sector is facing a slow recovery throughout mobile, fixed line, broadband and pay-TV.
BMI Industry View
Table: Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data & Forecasts (Spain 2011-2018)
Table: Telecoms Sector - Wireline - Historical Data & Forecasts (Spain 2011-2018)
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Changes At The Top
Score Volatility In Underperforming Markets
Table: Western Europe Telecoms - Risk/Rewards Ratings, Q414
Table: Spain's Mobile Market Regional Comparisons, 2013
Table: Spain's Mobile Market, Q114
Table: Net Additions By Subscription Type, Q312-Q214 ('000)
Table: Spanish MVNOs And Their Relationships, YE2011
Mobile Operator Tables
Table: Market Overview, March 2012-March 2014 ('000, unless otherwise stated)
Table: Movistar, March 2012-March 2014
Table: Vodafone, March 2012-June 2014
Table: Orange, March 2012-June 2014
Table: Yoigo, March 2012-March 2014
Interoperable M-Commerce A Stronger Proposition
Positioning Key To M2M Success
Regaining Control Of The Bill
Table: Broadband Subscriptions By Technology, Q411-Q413 ('000)
Industry Trends And Developments
Table: Key Developments
Table: Regulatory Framework
Table: Key Developments
Table: Key Players In Spain Telecoms Sector
Table: Selected Operators' Financial Indicators
Table: Telit Communications Financial Performance, 2009-2013 (USDmn)
m2mAir Lays Foundations For Growth
The Road Ahead
Table: Spain's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Spain's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Spain's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Spain's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Table: Glossary Of Terms
Industry Forecast Methodology
Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
Table: Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
Table: Weighting Of Indicators
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it