Chile Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2015
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: From CLP1,792bn (USD2.98bn) to CLP1,984bn (USD3.33bn) in 2014; +8.7% in local currency terms and -6.2% in US dollar terms. Up from Q414.
- Healthcare: From CLP10,237bn (USD16.84bn) to CLP11,167bn (USD18.37bn) in 2014; +9.1% in local currency terms. Unchanged from Q414.
With an RRI score of 53.9 out of 100 in Q115, Chile ranks 8thof the 18 markets covered in the Americas matrix, losing its 6thplace to Argentina. This figure is down from a score of 56.3 in Q414.
Key Trends a nd Developments
BMI Economic View: The Chilean economy will expand at a sluggish pace in the coming quarters, as weaker growth in China and deteriorating business confidence weigh on fixed investment....
- In October 2014, as reported by Reuters, Finance Minister Alberto Arenas announced that Chile's 2015 stimulus programme (authorising the government to issue up to USD8.0bn in local and foreign debt), which aims to boost investment in education and healthcare in order to counteract economic slowdown, may be scaled down from 2016 if growth hits targets above 4%.
- In July 2014, Chilean authorities put a policy in place, altering decree 466/84 that applies to pharmacies, drug and pharmaceutical stores. It implements a series of measures to begin the reduction of excessive drug use and a move towards a more transparent pharmaceutical market.
The Chile Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features BMI Research's forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
BMI's Chile Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Chile pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's pharmaceutical and healthcare market forecasts for Chile, to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Chilean pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Chilean pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Chile.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors using our company profiles (including SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and competitive landscape tables.
BMI Industry View
An at-a-glance perspective on the latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The pharmaceuticals and healthcare SWOT outlines strategic factors that affect the basic assumptions underpinning BMIs forecast analysis, and taken together with BMIs political, economic and business environment SWOTs, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Industry forecasts to end-2019 for all key indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecasts:
BMIs Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Risk Reward Index
- Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (USDbn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (USD), hospital beds, doctors, and birth & mortality rates (all per 000 population).
- Pharmaceutical Market: Drug expenditure in USDbn, % of GDP and per capita (USD).
- Patented Drug Market: Prescription drug sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Generic Drug Market: Generic product sales (USDbn), generic sales (% of total sales).
- OTC Drug Market: OTC sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against USD, government expenditure and external debt.
BMIs Risk Reward Index provides investors (both national and multinational) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country-comparative assessment of the markets risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
A snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of the pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape
A focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, mergers and acquisitions, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and index by USD sales and % share of total sales for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMIs industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.
Well into our extended forecast period, market conditions in Chile remain very attractive for multinational drugmakers. Although cost containment and measures to promote the uptake of generics are ongoing, the pace of reform is slow and entrants will continue to enjoy a relatively flexible operating environment. Notably, the private sector, which constitutes a disproportionate share of total spending, is markedly less price sensitive than public consumers and will continue to exhibit strong bias towards patented treatments; maintaining strong demand for pharmaceuticals.
BMI Industry View
Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts (Chile 2010-2018)
Healthcare Market Forecast
Table: Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Chile 2010-2018)
Table: Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Chile 2010-2018)
Table: Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Chile 2010-2018)
Prescription Drug Market Forecast
Table: Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Chile 2010-2018)
Patented Drug Market Forecast
Table: Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Chile 2010-2018)
Generic Drug Market Forecast
Table: Generic Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Chile 2010-2018)
OTC Medicine Market Forecast
Table: Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Chile 2010-2018)
Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (Chile 2012-2018)
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts local currency (Chile 2012-2018)
Other Healthcare Data
Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
Table: Economic Activity (Chile 2009-2018)
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Americas Risk/Reward Ratings
Chile Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
Table: Isapres Beneficiaries, 1990-2009
Table: Beneficiaries by Isapre Type, 2009
Healthcare Sector Developments
Table: Physicians by Specialty, 2000-2009
Research And Development
Table: Latin American Regulations On Bioequivalence And GMP
Intellectual Property Issues
Table: Pharmaceutical Price Build-up (%)
Pharmaceutical Retail Sector
Table: Pharmacy Sales Value by Sector, 2007-2008 (USDmn)
Laboratorios Chile (LabChile)
Corporaci-n Farmac-utica Recalcine (CFR)
Merck & Co
Other Company Developments
Table: Chile's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Chile's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Chile's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Chile's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Pharmaceutical Expenditure Forecast Model
Healthcare Expenditure Forecast Model
Notes On Methodology
Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
Table: Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it