Germany Petrochemicals Report Q2 2015
In 2014, German chemicals output grew just 1.5%, with significant weakening in Q414. The industry's domestic sales fell 0.8%, marking a worse performance than the previous year. Clearly, the German chemicals and petrochemicals industries are not immune to the eurozone slowdown or the impact of the Ukrainian crisis and related sanctions on Russia. These events have exacerbated growing structural problems within the German economy, which is further denting an already ailing investment picture for the German petrochemicals sector.
In the long run, German producers will leverage their expertise in high quality, speciality products that will lead to success, particularly in emerging markets. Germany is well-positioned to take advantage of a requirement for sustainable development, with the industry pioneering increased eco-efficiency of products. Investment in processes that extend this competitive advantage will pay off over the medium-to-long term.
The Germany Petrochemicals Report has been researched at source, and features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s market assessment and independent forecasts for key petrochemicals sub-sectors. The report also analyses the impact of regulatory changes, recent developments and the background macroeconomic outlook and features competitive landscapes comparing companies by products and services, sales, market share, investments, projects, partners and expansion strategies.
- The transition towards renewable resources will continue to exert a sizeable cost on energy-intensive German petrochemicals industries despite recent energy reforms. Attempts to shield the industry from these costs will delay the process of economic rebalancing towards a more consumption-based growth model, although German industrial competitiveness will ultimately suffer from higher energy costs. Added to this is the advent of the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP), which will force German petrochemicals producers into greater competition with shale-based US rivals. German producers will need to rely on high value added specialisation in order to counter the onslaught of high...
BMI's Germany Petrochemicals Report provides industry professionals and strategists, sector analysts, trade associations and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the German petrochemicals industry.
- Benchmark BMI's independent petrochemicals industry forecasts to test other views - a key input for successful budgetary and planning in the German petrochemicals market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the German petrochemicals sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Germany.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMIs key industry forecasts, views and trend analysis, covering the petrochemicals markets, regulatory changes, major investments, projects and company developments.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the petrochemicals sector and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
BMI Industry Forecasts
Historic data series (2009-2013) and forecasts to end-2019 for key industry and economic indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key risks to the main forecasts. Indicators include:
BMIs Petrochemicals Risk Reward Index
- Energy: Oil production (000 b/d), oil consumption (000 b/d), net oil exports (000 b/d), gas production (bcm), gas consumption (bcm), net gas exports (bcm), oil refinery capacity (000 b/d).
- Petrochemicals: Ethylene capacity (000 tpa), ethylene production (000 tpa), ethylene consumption (000 tpa), polyethylene capacity (000 tpa), polypropylene capacity (000 tpa), polyvinyl chloride capacity (000 tpa), polyolefins consumption (000 tpa).
- Oil Products Prices: Price forecasts for all major oil-based products (USD/bbl) at major global energy trading hubs.
- Economic: Nominal GDP (USDbn), real GDP growth (%), GDP per capita (USD), population (mn), unemployment (%), exchange rate (against USD).
BMIs Risk Reward Indices provide investors (both corporate and financial) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country-comparative assessment of a markets risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
Structure, size and value of the industry sector; overview of the industry landscape and key players; assessment of the business operating environment and the latest regulatory developments.
Industry Trends & Developments
Evaluation of company and sector-wide developments, including key projects (as well as expansion plans), latest company financial details and proposed international ventures.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMIs industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
Global & Regional Market Overview
Analysis of the key trends driving the global industry, including worldwide output/capacity and demand analysis across ethylene, polyethylene, polyvinyl chloride, polystyrene, polyethylene terephthalate and polypropylene. The regional analysis looks at the implications of local and global trends on specific company activity.
Sub-sectors covered by the Petrochemicals Reports include:
Oil & Gas, Oil Refining, Olefins (ethylene, propylene), Polyolefins (polyethylene, polypropylene), Polyvinyl Chloride, Polystyrene
Please note not all country Reports cover all sub-sectors see website for details.
The Petrochemicals Market Reports are based on a network of primary sources, such as multilateral organisations (ACC, APLA, Cefi c, ICCA, ICMA), national chambers of commerce and industry, national statistical offi ces, government ministries and central banks, and multinational companies.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.
The German petrochemicals market is set for a slowdown in growth in 2015 and the situation is likely to be sustained over the medium term, ensuring that it is unable to generate the consumption levels many European producers were banking on for recovery, according to BMI's latest Germany Petrochemicals Report.
BMI Industry View
Table: Germany's Petrochemicals Sector, 2010-2017 ('000 tpa, unless otherwise stated)
Table: Germany - GDP By Expenditure, Real Growth %
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Western Europe Petrochemicals Risk/Reward Ratings
Risk Remains The Main Determinant Of Ratings
Germany: The Undisputed Leader
France: Vulnerable To A Future Downgrade
Table: Western Europe Power Risk/Reward Ratings (Scores Out Of 100)
Germany Petrochemicals Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
BASF Aktiengesellschaft (BASF)
BP Refining And Petrochemicals GmbH
Short-term Outlook: Competitiveness And Pricing
Looking Beyond Europe
Shale Gas Boom To Change European Petrochemicals Outlook-
Commonwealth Of Independent States' Capacity Growth
Global Petrochemicals Overview - Q213
Global Petrochemicals Overview
Change In Feedstock, But Not In Market Cycle
Polymers Heading On Different Trajectories
Global Oil Products Price Outlook
Table: BMI's Oil Price Forecasts, Average Price (US$/bbl)
Table: BMI's Refined Products Forecasts
Refiners: Is The Party Over-
Jet Fuel: Middle East & Africa Remain Positive As Global Air Traffic Slumps
Table: Total Air Freight & Passenger Volumes
Gasoline And Diesel: Demand Destruction Takes A Toll
Naphtha: Asia Stays Afloat While Europe Sinks
Bunker Fuels: Trans-Pacific Route Rebound Amid High Prices
Table: Germany's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Germany's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Germany's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Germany's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Table: Glossary of Petrochemicals Terms
Chemicals And Petrochemicals Industry
Table: Petrochemicals Risk/Reward Indicators And Rationale
Table: Weighting Of Indicators
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it