Brazil Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2015
Headline Expenditure Projections
Pharmaceuticals: BRL62.0bn (USD26.3bn) in 2014 to BRL65.3bn (USD25.6bn) in 2015; +5.2% in local currency terms and -2.8% in US dollar terms. Forecast in local currency has been maintained from Q 115 while US dollar growth sees limited development due to depreciating Brazilian Real.
Healthcare: BRL495.7bn (USD210.5bn) in 2014 to BRL535.0bn (USD209.8bn) in 2015; +7.9% in local currency terms and -0.3% in US dollar terms . Forecast in local currency has been maintained from Q115 while US dollar growth sees limited development due to depreciating Brazilian Real.
Brazil scores 62.3 in BMI's Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Risk/Reward Index, making it the fourth most attractive pharmaceutical market in the Americas. We highlight that Brazil will continue to be the most important market for multinationals in Latin America. Its position has been very well reflected by this quarter's scores.
Key Trends And Developments
The Brazil Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
- In February 2015, Brazil's National Health Surveillance Agency (ANVISA) approved a new ruling which will reduce clinical trial approval times to between 90-180 days.
- In January 2015, Brazil passed the Brazilian Health Sector Law, which allows for direct and indirect participation of foreign capital companies in the healthcare business in Brazil.
- In December 2014, Brazil's Eurofarma began talks with Brazil's Ministry of Health to discuss strengthening the domestic distribution of pharmaceuticals in the country.
- In December 2014, Brazil noted that the number of drugs included in the Unified Health System...
BMI's Brazil Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Brazil pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's pharmaceutical and healthcare market forecasts for Brazil, to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Brazilian pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Brazilian pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Brazil.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors using our company profiles (including SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and competitive landscape tables.
BMI Industry View
An at-a-glance perspective on the latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The pharmaceuticals and healthcare SWOT outlines strategic factors that affect the basic assumptions underpinning BMIs forecast analysis, and taken together with BMIs political, economic and business environment SWOTs, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Industry forecasts to end-2019 for all key indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecasts:
BMIs Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Risk Reward Index
- Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (USDbn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (USD), hospital beds, doctors, and birth & mortality rates (all per 000 population).
- Pharmaceutical Market: Drug expenditure in USDbn, % of GDP and per capita (USD).
- Patented Drug Market: Prescription drug sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Generic Drug Market: Generic product sales (USDbn), generic sales (% of total sales).
- OTC Drug Market: OTC sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against USD, government expenditure and external debt.
BMIs Risk Reward Index provides investors (both national and multinational) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country-comparative assessment of the markets risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
A snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of the pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape
A focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, mergers and acquisitions, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and index by USD sales and % share of total sales for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMIs industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.
Continued regulatory improvements, growing pharmaceutical and healthcare markets, and increased favour for foreign investment will allow Brazil to maintain its position as the regional outperformer in Latin America. However, low affordability and increasing generic drug competition will hamper opportunities for innovative drugmakers as the country continues to develop its economy.
BMI Industry View
Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts (Brazil 2010-2018)
Healthcare Market Forecast
Table: Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Brazil 2010-2018)
Table: Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Brazil 2010-2018)
Table: Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Brazil 2010-2018)
Prescription Drug Market Forecast
Table: Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Brazil 2010-2018)
Patented Drug Market Forecast
Table: Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Brazil 2010-2018)
Generic Drug Market Forecast
Table: Generic Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Brazil 2010-2018)
OTC Medicine Market Forecast
Table: Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Brazil 2010-2018)
Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts, USDmn (Brazil 2012-2018)
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts, BRLmn (Brazil 2012-2018)
Other Healthcare Data
Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
Table: Brazil - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Americas Risk/Reward Ratings
Brazil Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
Compassionate Use Programmes
Research & Development
Table: Brazilian Government's Partnership Deals With Multinationals
Intellectual Property Regime
Table: Top 20 Pharmaceutical Companies In Brazil By Sales In 2010
Table: Hypermarcas' Major Acquisitions, 2005-11
Pharmaceutical Distribution Sector
Pharmaceutical Retail Sector
Merck & Co
Table: GSK'S Strong Collaborative Efforts In Public-Private Partnerships (Ppps) In Brazil
Table: Brazil's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Brazil's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Brazil's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Brazil's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Pharmaceutical Expenditure Forecast Model
Healthcare Expenditure Forecast Model
Notes On Methodology
Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
Table: Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it