Singapore Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2015
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals : SGD1.041bn (USD822mn) in 2014 to SGD1.097bn (USD836mn) by 2015; +5.4% in local currency terms and +1.7% in USD terms.
- Healthcare: SGD19.31bn (USD15.24bn) in 2014 to SGD20.97bn (USD15.97bn) by 2015; +8.6% in local currency terms and +4.8% in USD terms.
Singapore is ranked eighth out of 19 other Asia Pacific markets (scoring 62.1 out of a maximum 100) on BMI's Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Index for Q215. The country's above average score on country rewards (scoring 16.8 out of 21.0) with the highest score for risk (28.1 out of 35) in the region is weighed down by the limited industry rewards (17.2 out of 44.0) due to the country's small population.
Key Trends And Developments
The Singapore Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
- In November 2014, the Ministry of Health is seeking feedback on a new Human Biomedical Research Bill that will formalise standards for biomedical research. Some of the research that will be covered include tissue graphs, new surgical techniques and diagnostic imaging.
- In December 2014, the Singapore Eye Research Institute (SERI) and Singapore Chung Hwa Medical Institution are partnering for an upcoming clinical trial which will consider the effectiveness of Traditional Chinese Medicine in alleviating dry eye symptoms. The study will involve 150 patients, aged 40 to 85.
- In January 2015, the Singapore Parliament passed the MediShield Life Scheme Bill which will provide universal insurance coverage for all Singaporeans. In the first year, all citizens will receive a 90% subsidy on the net increase in premium for the first year and a...
BMI's Singapore Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Singapore pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's pharmaceutical and healthcare market forecasts for Singapore, to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Singaporean pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Singaporean pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Singapore.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors using our company profiles (including SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and competitive landscape tables.
BMI Industry View
An at-a-glance perspective on the latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The pharmaceuticals and healthcare SWOT outlines strategic factors that affect the basic assumptions underpinning BMIs forecast analysis, and taken together with BMIs political, economic and business environment SWOTs, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Industry forecasts to end-2019 for all key indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecasts:
BMIs Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Risk Reward Index
- Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (USDbn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (USD), hospital beds, doctors, and birth & mortality rates (all per 000 population).
- Pharmaceutical Market: Drug expenditure in USDbn, % of GDP and per capita (USD).
- Patented Drug Market: Prescription drug sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Generic Drug Market: Generic product sales (USDbn), generic sales (% of total sales).
- OTC Drug Market: OTC sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against USD, government expenditure and external debt.
BMIs Risk Reward Index provides investors (both national and multinational) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country-comparative assessment of the markets risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
A snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of the pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape
A focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, mergers and acquisitions, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and index by USD sales and % share of total sales for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMIs industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.
Singapore will remain a highly attractive manufacturing base for international pharmaceutical companies due to minimal levels of operational risks and the government's support for the industry. The pharmaceutical industry has been a key pillar of the country's economy and we believe its importance will continue to grow as traditional drivers such as electronic manufacturing slow.
BMI Industry View
Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts (Singapore 2010-2018)
Healthcare Market Forecast
Table: Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Singapore 2010-2018)
Table: Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Singapore 2010-2018)
Table: Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Singapore 2010-2018)
Prescription Drug Market Forecast
Table: Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Singapore 2010-2018)
Patented Drug Market Forecast
Table: Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Singapore 2010-2018)
Generic Drug Market Forecast
Table: Generics Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Singapore 2010-2018)
OTC Medicine Market Forecast
Table: Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Singapore 2010-2018)
Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (Singapore 2012-2018)
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts local currency (Singapore 2012-2018)
Other Healthcare Data
Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
Global Liquidity Conditions Present Risks To Singapore-
-But State Of Economy Remains Sound
Table: Singapore - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Asia Risk/Reward Ratings
Singapore Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
Table: Top Causes Of Death In Singapore, 2010-2012
Table: Health Funding Sources In Singapore (SGDmn)
Healthcare Company Developments
International Healthcare Collaboration
Research & Development
Research & Development Activity
Intellectual Property Issues
Pricing And Reimbursement Regime
Table: Pharmaceutical Manufacturing In Singapore, 2004-2012
Table: Singapore's Leading Healthcare And Pharmaceutical Companies According To Market Capitalisation (USDmn)
Domestic Pharmaceutical Sector
Table: Multinational Pharmaceutical Firms' Presence In Singapore
Traditional Chinese Medicine
Pharmaceutical Retail Sector
Merck & Co
Table: Singapore's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Singapore's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Singapore's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Singapore's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Pharmaceutical Expenditure Forecast Model
Healthcare Expenditure Forecast Model
Notes On Methodology
Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
Table: Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it