Peru Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2015
Headline Expenditure Projections
Risk/Reward Index : In BMI's Risk/Reward Index for Q2 2015, Peru remains 10th out of the 18 markets surveyed in the Americas matrix. Peru's Reward and Risk scores are both viewed as less favourable than the regional averages. A small market size and a deficient intellectual property environment are some of the major drawbacks to the involvement of foreign companies in Peru. Nevertheless, Peru is still seen as being able to offer longer-term benefits to foreign investors, on account of the expected healthcare market development and economic growth.
- Pharmaceuticals: PEN4.7bn (USD1.65bn) in 2014 to PEN5.0bn (USD1.7bn) in 2015; +6.2% in local currency terms and +2.2% in US dollar terms. Forecast has been revised upward from Q115 based on historic data.
- Healthcare: PEN32bn (USD11.3bn) in 2014 to PEN34.2bn (USD11.6bn) in 2014; +6.8% in local currency terms and +2.8% in US dollar terms. Historic market size and projected growth rates are revised upward from Q 515 .
Key Trends And Developments
The Peru Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
- In January 2015, Peru's Ministry of Economy and Finance (MEF) has allocated PEN2,900mn (USD963.6mn) to finance various projects in the health sector with the aim of improving health services in the country.
- In January 2015, Peru's Health Minister Anibal Velasquez will visited Seoul to expand bilateral cooperation and technical assistance with his South Korean counterpart, Moon Hyungpyo. The meeting focussed on the proposal to create a Center of Control and Prevention of Diseases in Peru with the latest technological advances offered by Korea. Velasquez' visit...
BMI's Peru Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Peru pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's pharmaceutical and healthcare market forecasts for Peru, to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Peruvian pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Peruvian pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Peru.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors using our company profiles (including SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and competitive landscape tables.
BMI Industry View
An at-a-glance perspective on the latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The pharmaceuticals and healthcare SWOT outlines strategic factors that affect the basic assumptions underpinning BMIs forecast analysis, and taken together with BMIs political, economic and business environment SWOTs, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Industry forecasts to end-2019 for all key indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecasts:
BMIs Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Risk Reward Index
- Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (USDbn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (USD), hospital beds, doctors, and birth & mortality rates (all per 000 population).
- Pharmaceutical Market: Drug expenditure in USDbn, % of GDP and per capita (USD).
- Patented Drug Market: Prescription drug sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Generic Drug Market: Generic product sales (USDbn), generic sales (% of total sales).
- OTC Drug Market: OTC sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against USD, government expenditure and external debt.
BMIs Risk Reward Index provides investors (both national and multinational) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country-comparative assessment of the markets risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
A snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of the pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape
A focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, mergers and acquisitions, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and index by USD sales and % share of total sales for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMIs industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.
Longstanding trade agreements with the US and EU, along with efficient regulations for quality control will continue to make Peru an appealing destination for drugmakers. However, while the pharmaceutical and healthcare markets continue to grow, the national economy continues to struggle and its dependence on key exports will ham per overall growth in the short- term.
BMI Industry View
Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts (Peru 2010-2018)
Healthcare Market Forecast
Table: Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Peru 2010-2018)
Table: Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Peru 2010-2018)
Table: Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Peru 2010-2018)
Prescription Drug Market Forecast
Table: Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Peru 2010-2018)
Patented Drug Market Forecast
Table: Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Peru 2010-2018)
Generic Drug Market Forecast
Table: Generics Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Peru 2010-2018)
OTC Medicine Market Forecast
Table: Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Peru 2010-2018)
Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (Peru 2012-2018)
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts local currency (Peru 2012-2018)
Other Healthcare Data
Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
Table: Peru - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Americas Risk/Reward Ratings
Peru Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
Table: Selected Causes of Death by Sex, 2010
Table: MINSA's Decentralised Institutions & Institutes, 2011
Healthcare Sector Developments
Table: Infrastructure, 2004-2009
Table: Key Goals of Parsalud II In Nine Regions
Research and Development (R&D)
Recent Regulatory Developments
Intellectual Property Regime
Table: Peruvian Watchdog of Pharmaceutical Products (Observatorio Peruano de Productos Farmac-uticos, OPPF)
Pricing And Reimbursement Developments
Table: Price Components Of Two Imported Medicines In Both Private And Public Sectors
Table: Public Procurement of Pharmaceuticals by Provider, 2007-2009 (PENmn)
Table: Peruvian Pharmaceutical Companies That Acquired GMP Accreditation In 2006
Table: Members of ADIFAN, 2011
Recent Pharmaceutical Sector Developments
Merck & Co
Teva (Corporaci-n Medco)
Table: Peru's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Peru's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Peru's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Peru's Rural/Urban Population, 1990-2020
Pharmaceutical Expenditure Forecast Model
Healthcare Expenditure Forecast Model
Notes On Methodology
Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
Table: Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it