Ireland Telecommunications Report Q2 2015
Key Trends & Developments
- New data suggest stronger 3G/4G uptake than previously surmised. We forecast 3G/4G subscriptions to rise to 3.747mn by 2018, or 66.8% of the mobile market.
- This - along with the eircom and Vodafone/ ESB initiatives - allows us to raise our forecasts for broadband adoption. We expect there to be 1.892mn mobile and wireline broadband subscriptions by 2018.
Although eircom decided not to pursue an initial public offering (IPO) of its shares that would have given it greater freedom to bankroll its ambitious fibre-based next-generation access network (NGAN) project, the company is accelerating its medium-term expansion plans in response to heightened competition. Vodafone's partnership with ESB in the fibre-to-the-building (FTTB) market prompted eircom to raise its NGAN coverage target to 1.6mn premises; regulatory approval for the partnership then promoted eircom to declare plans to build a FTTH network of its own, serving 66 towns and cities. Around the same time, the Irish government announced plans to finance additional rural broadband initiatives and Sky's presence in the broadband market deepened as it...
The Ireland Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Ireland's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Ireland Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Ireland.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Ireland to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Irish telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Ireland's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Ireland.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMIs key industry forecasts and views, covering the ARPU, fi xed-line, mobile (including 3G & 4G ), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series (2010-2013) and forecasts to end-2019 for all key industry indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
BMIs Telecommunications Risk Reward Index
- Fixed-line Telephony Telephone lines (000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony Mobile phone subscribers (000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; and where available, 3G & 4G subscribers (000); 3G & 4G subscribers/100 inhabitants; 3G & 4G subscribers as a percentage of overall mobile market.
- Internet Markets Internet users (000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers (000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
BMIs Risk Reward Indices provide investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country comparative assessment of a markets risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide an Indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed-line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G & 4G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and valueadded handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators, including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
Company Database A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G & 4G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. Also covers the latest updates in the markets development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMIs industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
The Telecommunications Reports draw on an extensive network of primary sources, such as multilateral organisations, government departments, industry associations, chambers and company reports.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.
The fallout from the merger of O2 Ireland to Hutchison 3G Ireland continues to weigh on the Irish telecoms market. Incumbent eircom ramped up its plans to roll out a next-generation access network based in fibre in light of the 3 group's increased broadband capabilities and reach. It then committed itself to a costly fibre-to-the-home rollout after the European Commission approved the formation of a wireline broadband joint venture between Vodafone and the Electricity Service Board (ESB). Pay-TV operator Sky will see an increase in content after its UK parent buys its German and Italian sister companies. And at least two new MVNOs will enter the market in the near future, although we have a bearish view on their chances of success and the impact they will have on the value of the market.
BMI Industry View
Table: Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data & Forecasts (Ireland 2011-2018)
Table: Telecoms Sector - Wireline - Historical Data & Forecasts (Ireland 2011-2018)
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Table: Western Europe Telecoms Risk/Rewards Index, Q115
Table: Ireland Mobile Market Regional Comparisons, 2013
Table: Ireland Mobile Subscribers Q412-Q214 ('000)
Mobile Operator Data
Table: Ireland Mobile Market Overview
Table: Vodafone Ireland
Table: O2 Ireland
Table: Hutchison 3G Ireland
Interoperable M-Commerce A Stronger Proposition
Positioning Key To M2M Success
Regaining Control Of The Bill
Table: Fixed Broadband Accesses By Technology, Q412-Q214
Industry Trends And Developments
Table: Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities
Table: Key Players: Ireland Telecoms Sector
Telef-nica O2 Ireland
Hutchison 3G Ireland
European Expansion: Netflix's Medium Term Growth Engine
Table: Population Headline Indicators (Ireland 1990-2025)
Table: Key Population Ratios (Ireland 1990-2025)
Table: Urban/Rural Population & Life Expectancy (Ireland 1990-2025)
Table: Population By Age Group (Ireland 1990-2025)
Table: Population By Age Group % (Ireland 1990-2025)
Table: Glossary Of Terms
Industry Forecast Methodology
Risk/Reward Index Methodology
Table: Risk/Reward Index Indicators
Table: Weighting Of Indicators
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it