Hungary Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2015
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: HUF579.14bn (USD2.50bn) in 2014 to HUF590.49bn (USD2.31bn) in 2014; +2.0% in local currency terms and -7.9% in US dollar terms.
- Healthcare: HUF2,191bn (USD9.47bn) in 2014 to HUF2,232bn (USD8.72bn) in 2014; +1.9% in local currency terms and -7.9% in US dollar terms.
Our proprietary Risk/Reward assessment tool has been gradually adjusted to be increasingly transparent and sensitive in relation to potential Rewards. Therefore, as Hungary's market opportunity has worsened, it has slipped down our regional table. Hungary currently ranks ninth out of the 20 regional markets profiled in the Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) region, with a score of 52.4. While its Risks profile is generally predictable, Hungary's Rewards score continues to reflect its challenging pharmaceutical market outlook.
Key Trends & Developments
The Hungary Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
- In January 2015, the Hungarian minister for Human Resources stated that the Hungarian government wanted to offer tax advantages to private healthcare providers. The Hungarian state is looking at the private sector to reduce some of the burden on the public healthcare system's finances.
- Only an additional HUF4bn (USD15mn) will be spent by the National Health Insurance Fund (OEP) in 2015 on the reimbursement of medicines than was spent in 2014 (HUF294.1bn). Most of the increase in healthcare expenditure will be directed towards paying overdue debts of hospitals.
- Gedeon Richter warned in December 2014 that the depreciation of the Russian rouble would have a negative impact on its Q414 earnings, with a substantial...
BMI's Hungary Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Hungary pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's pharmaceutical and healthcare market forecasts for Hungary, to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Hungarian pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Hungarian pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Hungary.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors using our company profiles (including SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and competitive landscape tables.
BMI Industry View
An at-a-glance perspective on the latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The pharmaceuticals and healthcare SWOT outlines strategic factors that affect the basic assumptions underpinning BMIs forecast analysis, and taken together with BMIs political, economic and business environment SWOTs, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Industry forecasts to end-2019 for all key indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecasts:
BMIs Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Risk Reward Index
- Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (USDbn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (USD), hospital beds, doctors, and birth & mortality rates (all per 000 population).
- Pharmaceutical Market: Drug expenditure in USDbn, % of GDP and per capita (USD).
- Patented Drug Market: Prescription drug sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Generic Drug Market: Generic product sales (USDbn), generic sales (% of total sales).
- OTC Drug Market: OTC sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against USD, government expenditure and external debt.
BMIs Risk Reward Index provides investors (both national and multinational) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country-comparative assessment of the markets risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
A snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of the pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape
A focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, mergers and acquisitions, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and index by USD sales and % share of total sales for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMIs industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.
Hungary's pharmaceutical market will stabilise and grow slightly in 2015. The challenging operating environment, regulatory burden and punitive taxes on the pharmaceutical sector will continue to stunt growth. Pharmaceutical growth in local currency terms will be driven by consumer demand for over-the-counter medicines and greater uptake of generic medicines.
BMI Industry View
Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
Table: Hungary Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts (2010-2018)
Healthcare Market Forecast
Table: Hungary Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (2010-2018)
Table: Hungary Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (2010-2018)
Table: Hungary Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (2010-2018)
Prescription Drug Market Forecast
Table: Hungary Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (2010-2018)
Patented Drug Market Forecast
Table: Hungary Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (2010-2018)
Generic Drug Market Forecast
Table: Hungary Generic Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (2010-2018)
OTC Medicine Market Forecast
Table: Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (2010-2018)
Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
Table: Hungary Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (2012-2018)
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts local currency (Hungary 2012-2018)
Other Healthcare Data Forecasts
Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
Table: GDP By Expenditure (Hungary 2011-2018)
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Central And Eastern Europe Risk/Reward Index
Hungary Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
Research and Development (R&D)
Intellectual Property Regime
Table: OEP Reimbursement Changes, September 2014
Table: Hungary - Pharmaceutical Price Build-Up (%)
Pricing And Reimbursement Amendments
Table: Additional Savings Outlined in Sz-ll K-lm-n 2
Egis Pharmaceuticals (Servier)
Merck & Co
Table: Hungary's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Hungary's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Hungary's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Hungary's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Pharmaceutical Expenditure Forecast Model
Healthcare Expenditure Forecast Model
Notes On Methodology
Risk/Reward Index Methodology
Table: Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Index Indicators
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it