Greece Telecommunications Report Q2 2015
Key Trends & Developments
- Mobile subscription addition rates were stronger in 9M14 than had been expected, possibly due to increased price competition and the wider availability of 3G/4G networks. Subscriptions grew by 0.2% quarter-on-quarter (q-o-q) to 15.575mn.
- The inclusion of inactive or rarely-used subscriptions weighs on ARPU figures disclosed by operators. Cosmote continued to outpace Vodafone in blended ARPU in Q314, although both players reversed the trend for ARPU erosion as usage of voice and data services increased and unproductive inactive accounts were closed.
- Alternative wireline operators - which include the fixed-line business of mobile-focused WIND - generally recorded strong growth in customers served by unbundled local loops in Q314, testament to the power of price competition, access to advanced infrastructure and an easing of macroeconomic headwinds.
Vodafone, Cosmote and Wind all acquired digital dividend spectrum in the 800MHz and 2600MHz bands in October/November 2014. Despite the importance of spectrum to their plans for mobile broadband expansion, rational bidding prevailed and the operators did...
The Greece Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Greece's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Greece Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Greece.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Greece to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Greek telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Greece's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Greece.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMIs key industry forecasts and views, covering the ARPU, fi xed-line, mobile (including 3G & 4G ), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series (2010-2013) and forecasts to end-2019 for all key industry indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
BMIs Telecommunications Risk Reward Index
- Fixed-line Telephony Telephone lines (000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony Mobile phone subscribers (000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; and where available, 3G & 4G subscribers (000); 3G & 4G subscribers/100 inhabitants; 3G & 4G subscribers as a percentage of overall mobile market.
- Internet Markets Internet users (000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers (000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
BMIs Risk Reward Indices provide investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country comparative assessment of a markets risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide an Indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed-line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G & 4G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and valueadded handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators, including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
Company Database A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G & 4G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. Also covers the latest updates in the markets development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMIs industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
The Telecommunications Reports draw on an extensive network of primary sources, such as multilateral organisations, government departments, industry associations, chambers and company reports.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.
Our forecasts for the Greek wireline voice, broadband and mobile services markets have been extended through to 2019 in this quarter's update. We have reined-in our expectations for growth in the mobile arena, despite the increasing take-up of higher-value 4G services, owing to the continued emphasis on prepaid offerings. The outperformer remains Vodafone, which took control of Hellas Online (HOL) in late 2014 and seems poised to buy ForthNet, too . A compelling converged services provider should emerge in the near future, which would provide upside to the wireline broadband segment, but lead to a thinning out of inactive mobile-only subscriptions as well as costly fixed voice lines. The wireline voice market contracted faster than expected in 2014 and we expect this to continue over the longer term.
BMI Industry View
Table: Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data & Forecasts (Greece 2011-2018)
Table: Telecoms Sector - Wireline - Historical Data & Forecasts (Greece 2011-2018)
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Table: Western Europe Telecoms Risk/Rewards Index, Q115
Table: Greece Mobile Market Regional Comparisons, 2013
Table: Greek Mobile Market, Q214
Mobile Operator Data
Table: Market Overview
Table: WIND Hellas
Interoperable M-Commerce A Stronger Proposition
Positioning Key To M2M Success
Regaining Control Of The Bill
Table: Greece's Fixed Broadband Market, Q214
Table: Alternative Operators' LLU Connections, 2012-2014
Industry Trends And Developments
Table: Greece Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities
Legisation And Market Liberalisation
Table: Key Players - Greece Telecoms Sector
Table: Selected Operators' Finance Performance
Hellenic Telecommunications Organization (OTE)
Hellas Online (HOL)
European Expansion: Netflix's Medium Term Growth Engine
Table: Greece's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Greece's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Greece's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Greece's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Table: Glossary Of Terms
Industry Forecast Methodology
Risk/Reward Index Methodology
Table: Risk/Reward Index Indicators
Table: Weighting Of Indicators
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it