Bahrain Telecommunications Report Q2 2015
- Bahrain's mobile market reached 2.41mn subscriptions in September 2014, for a penetration rate of 183% according to the regulator. 79% of these subscriptions were on prepaid plans
- The launch of LTE services has boosted the broadband market, with 1.84mn subscriptions in September 2014 of which 91% were mobile.
- Fixed wireline continues to decline as it remains affected by mobile substitution, but the fixed broadband market has stabilised thanks to the deregulation of the market.
Bahrain's Risk/Reward score dropped to 51.4 in the latest quarter, a drop of 1.7pp compared to three months ago, which puts the country in fifth place overall in the region on BMI's Telecoms Risk/Reward Index. Bahrain's lowest score is in the industry rewards category, which reflects the high level of mobile penetration and the country's small population, which limit growth opportunities. Bahrain's highest score is in the country rewards category, as the country benefits from a high GDP per capita and a small land size, both important factors in reducing the challenge of achieving universal access to telecoms services.
Key Trends And Developments
The Bahrain Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Bahrain's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Bahrain Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Bahrain.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Bahrain to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Bahraini telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Bahrain's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Bahrain.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMIs key industry forecasts and views, covering the ARPU, fi xed-line, mobile (including 3G & 4G ), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series (2010-2013) and forecasts to end-2019 for all key industry indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
BMIs Telecommunications Risk Reward Index
- Fixed-line Telephony Telephone lines (000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony Mobile phone subscribers (000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; and where available, 3G & 4G subscribers (000); 3G & 4G subscribers/100 inhabitants; 3G & 4G subscribers as a percentage of overall mobile market.
- Internet Markets Internet users (000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers (000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
BMIs Risk Reward Indices provide investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country comparative assessment of a markets risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide an Indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed-line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G & 4G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and valueadded handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators, including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
Company Database A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G & 4G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. Also covers the latest updates in the markets development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMIs industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
The Telecommunications Reports draw on an extensive network of primary sources, such as multilateral organisations, government departments, industry associations, chambers and company reports.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.
There remains some growth potential Bahrain's mobile market, but the key opportunities in the country's telecoms market now lie in the advanced mobile and wireline data market, such as LTE and fibre services. Operators will need to start focusing on increasing postpaid penetration through the introduction of services which drives usage and bring further revenue. Operators should also be looking at the enterprise segment to diversify from an increasingly competitive consumer market . . The outlook, supported by healthy GDP and private consumption growth forecasts to 201 9, is positive for the telecoms market, but we note that strong competition in the mobile and wireline sectors will continue to weigh on the pace of revenue growth as we expect growth to slow down until 2019 .
BMI Industry View
Table: Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data & Forecasts (Bahrain 2011-2018)
Table: Telecoms Sector - Wireline - Historical Data & Forecasts (Bahrain 2011-2018)
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Industry Risk Reward Index
Table: MENA Q115 Risk/Reward Index
Table: Bahrain Mobile Market Regional Comparison, 2013
Table: Bahrain Mobile Market
Mobile Operator Data
Table: Market Overview
Middle East And North Africa Mobile Content
Industry Trends And Developments
Table: Selected Mobile and Wireline Contract Wins
Table: Bahrain Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities
Table: Key Players: Bahrain Telecoms Sector
Table: Bahrain Revenue By Operator (USDmn)
Table: Ericsson Major Contract Wins, Q413-2014
Table: Bahrain's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Bahrain's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Bahrain's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Bahrain's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Table: Glossary Of Terms
Industry Forecast Methodology
Risk/Reward Index Methodology
Table: Risk/Reward Index Indicators
Table: Weighting Of Indicators
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it