Mexico Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2015
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: MXN185bn (USD14bn) in 2014 to MXN192bn (USD15bn) in 2015; +7.2% in local currency terms and +5.8% in US dollar terms. Forecast increased from Q115 due to revised historical data.
- Healthcare: MXN1,124bn (USD85bn) in 2014 to MXN1,1214bn (USD91bn) in 2015; +8.0% in local currency terms and +6.6% in US dollar terms. Forecast increased from Q115 due to revised historical data.
Mexico scores 60.6 in BMI's Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Risk/Reward Index (RRI), making it the fifth-most attractive pharmaceutical market in the region.
Key Trends And Developments
- Mexico's National Strategy for Prevention and Control of Overweight, Obesity and Diabetes published results that in 2014, their program was successful in decreasing mortality rates of diabetes by 1% and cardiovascular disease by 2.6%.
- COFEPRIS (Federal Commission for the Protection against Sanitary Risk) reported having removed more than 119,000 pharmaceutical advertisements throughout 2014. The ads, which were considered to be irregular, accrued more than MXN70mn (USD5mn) in fines.
BMI Economic View: Mexico's current account deficit...
- Mexico became the largest exporter of pharmaceutical products in Latin America with its pharmaceutical industry accounting for 1.2% of its gross domestic product.
- The Mexican government made the largest purchase of pharmaceuticals in the history of the public sector, spending MXN51bn (USD3.5bn) on imported medicines for 2015. The figure is MXN8bn (549mn) more than the previous year.
The Mexico Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
BMI's Mexico Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Mexico pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's pharmaceutical and healthcare market forecasts for Mexico, to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Mexican pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Mexican pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Mexico.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors using our company profiles (including SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and competitive landscape tables.
BMI Industry View
An at-a-glance perspective on the latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The pharmaceuticals and healthcare SWOT outlines strategic factors that affect the basic assumptions underpinning BMIs forecast analysis, and taken together with BMIs political, economic and business environment SWOTs, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Industry forecasts to end-2019 for all key indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecasts:
BMIs Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Risk Reward Index
- Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (USDbn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (USD), hospital beds, doctors, and birth & mortality rates (all per 000 population).
- Pharmaceutical Market: Drug expenditure in USDbn, % of GDP and per capita (USD).
- Patented Drug Market: Prescription drug sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Generic Drug Market: Generic product sales (USDbn), generic sales (% of total sales).
- OTC Drug Market: OTC sales (USDbn & % of total sales).
- Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against USD, government expenditure and external debt.
BMIs Risk Reward Index provides investors (both national and multinational) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country-comparative assessment of the markets risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
A snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of the pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape
A focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, mergers and acquisitions, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and index by USD sales and % share of total sales for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMIs industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.
Increased trade activity will promote growth in Mexico's pharmaceutical a nd healthcare markets in 2015. In particular, generic medicine will continue to grow over the forecast period, accounting for a larger percentage of total pharmaceutical spending. Indeed, the country will continue to see positive changes as government regulations improve industry appeal to foreign drugmakers.
BMI Industry View
Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts (Mexico 2010-2018)
Healthcare Market Forecast
Table: Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Mexico 2010-2018)
Table: Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Mexico 2010-2018)
Table: Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Mexico 2010-2018)
Prescription Drug Market Forecast
Table: Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Mexico 2010-2018)
Patented Drug Market Forecast
Table: Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Mexico 2010-2018)
Generic Drug Market Forecast
Table: Generics Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Mexico 2010-2018)
Table: Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Mexico 2010-2018)
Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (Mexico 2012-2018)
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts local currency (Mexico 2012-2018)
Other Healthcare Data
Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
Table: Mexico - GDP By Expenditure, Real Growth %
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Americas Risk/Reward Ratings
Mexico Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
Healthcare Sector Funding
Table: Selected Countries' Medical Tourism Prices In 2011 (USD)
Table: List Of Hospitals In Mexico With Joint Commission International (JCI) Accreditation
Research & Development
Table: Clinical Trial Regulation In Mexico
Biologics And Biosimilar Guidelines
Intellectual Property Issues
Intellectual Property Challenges
Table: Mexican Marketing Applications In Alleged Violation Of Patent Rights
Pricing & Reimbursement
Other Regulatory Developments
Table: TOP 10 PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES IN MEXICO BY SALES
Table: AstraZeneca Sales, 2005-10
Pharmaceutical Retail Sector
Table: IMSS Financial Indicators, 2000-11 (MXNmn)
Table: SPSS Budget, 2004-11 (MXNmn)
Table: Mexico's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Mexico's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Mexico's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Mexico's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Pharmaceutical Expenditure Forecast Model
Healthcare Expenditure Forecast Model
Notes On Methodology
Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
Table: Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it