Indonesia Telecommunications Report Q2 2015
Increasing saturation of the mobile market and declining voice revenues will force Indonesia's largest telecoms operators to focus on the development of next-generation fixed and mobile data networks. The country's mobile operators are accelerating their tower outsourcing and managed services strategies in order to reduce operating costs. This is a sensible move considering their weak bottom line performances.
The Indonesia Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Indonesia's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
- The mobile sector grew by 4.3% y-o-y in 9M14 to bring the penetration rate to 123.1%.
- Mobile ARPUs continued their downwards trend in 2014, with market weighted average blended ARPU falling by 9.8% for the year.
- Indonesian wireless broadband operator Internux, which operates under 'Bolt! Super 4G' brand, has added 750,000...
BMI's Indonesia Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Indonesia.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Indonesia to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Indonesian telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Indonesia's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Indonesia.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMIs key industry forecasts and views, covering the ARPU, fi xed-line, mobile (including 3G & 4G ), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series (2010-2013) and forecasts to end-2019 for all key industry indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
BMIs Telecommunications Risk Reward Index
- Fixed-line Telephony Telephone lines (000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony Mobile phone subscribers (000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; and where available, 3G & 4G subscribers (000); 3G & 4G subscribers/100 inhabitants; 3G & 4G subscribers as a percentage of overall mobile market.
- Internet Markets Internet users (000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers (000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
BMIs Risk Reward Indices provide investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country comparative assessment of a markets risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide an Indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed-line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G & 4G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and valueadded handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators, including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
Company Database A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G & 4G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. Also covers the latest updates in the markets development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMIs industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
The Telecommunications Reports draw on an extensive network of primary sources, such as multilateral organisations, government departments, industry associations, chambers and company reports.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.
The Indonesian market saw a major development in December 2014, with the deployment and launch of 4G LTE networks by the thre e largest mobile operators, Tel komsel, Indosat and XL Axiata. Although the outlook for the technology will be limited by the low spending power of most Indonesians and the high price of LTE tariffs and smartphones, it represents a step forward in the development of the market. 3G will be the favoured form of mobile broadband throughout our forecast period, but will continue to make up a minority of mobile subscriptions while the number of competitors remains too high, leading to a significant prominence of low-value prepaid subscribers. Moves towards tower sharing will help reduce the burden of this hyper-competitive environment, and could potentially pave the way for further consolidation. The wireline market is witnessing considerable investments in fibre - optic network infrastructure, a development that should drive the uptake of high-value converged services, includ ing IPTV. The government is looking to encourage the expansion of fixed broadband infrastructure with incentives, however, mobile broadband will continue to remain the dominant service for internet access.
BMI Industry View
Table: Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data & Forecasts (Indonesia 2011-2018)
Table: Telecoms Sector - Wireline - Historical Data & Forecasts (Indonesia 2011-2018)
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Table: Asia Pacific Telecoms Risk/Reward Ratings - Q3 2014
Table: Indonesia Mobile Market Regional Comparison, 2013
Table: Indonesia Prepaid And Postpaid ARPU By Operator (IDR)
Table: Indonesian Mobile Operator Minutes Of Use
Mobile Operator Data
Table: Market Overview
Table: XL Asista
Table: Bakrie Telecom (Fixed wireless)
Asia Pacific Mobile Content
Tablets Are The New TV
Table: Percentage Of Long-Form Video Views By Device
Infrastructure Is A Key Enabler
Table: Telkom Key Fixed-Line Network Developments
Industry Trends And Developments
Table: Market Developments
Table: Indonesia: Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities
Table: Indonesia Telecoms Sector Key Players
Table: Key Operator Revenues (US$mn)
Industry Trend Analysis
Table: Strategies Of Asian Top Chat Apps
Table: Indonesia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Indonesia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Indonesia's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Indonesia's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Table: Glossary Of Terms
Industry Forecast Methodology
Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
Table: Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
Table: Weighting Of Indicators
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it