Chile Telecommunications Report Q2 2015
Key Trends & Developments
- Mobile telephony penetration reached 129% at the end of September 2014, with 23mn subscribers, representing a decline of 2.9% from December 2013.
- 4G connections rose 87.3% quarter-on-quarter in Q314 to reach 345,000.
- Chile ended Q314 with 7.9mn mobile internet subscribers.
- Internet penetration in Chile increased 22.4% year-on-year (y-o-y) to 60.2%, for a total of 10.7mn accesses, in 9M14, ended September 2014
- Fixed lines increased 5.6% at the end of September 2014 from December 2013, driven partially by the gradual elimination of national long distance calling rates in 2014.
- Pay-TV penetration grew 6.6% y-o-y to 48.6%, for 2.8mn subscribers, in 9M14.
Chile's transport and telecoms ministry is expected to grant 700MHz spectrum licences to the winners of the auction held in 2014 in the next four to six months, according to Minister Andres...
The Chile Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Chile's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Chile Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Chile.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Chile to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Chilean telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Chile's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Chile.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMIs key industry forecasts and views, covering the ARPU, fi xed-line, mobile (including 3G & 4G ), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series (2010-2013) and forecasts to end-2019 for all key industry indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
BMIs Telecommunications Risk Reward Index
- Fixed-line Telephony Telephone lines (000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony Mobile phone subscribers (000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; and where available, 3G & 4G subscribers (000); 3G & 4G subscribers/100 inhabitants; 3G & 4G subscribers as a percentage of overall mobile market.
- Internet Markets Internet users (000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers (000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
BMIs Risk Reward Indices provide investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country comparative assessment of a markets risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide an Indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed-line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G & 4G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and valueadded handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators, including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
Company Database A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G & 4G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. Also covers the latest updates in the markets development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMIs industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
The Telecommunications Reports draw on an extensive network of primary sources, such as multilateral organisations, government departments, industry associations, chambers and company reports.
*Company profiles are not available for every country. Those reports instead contain information on the current activities of prominent companies operating in the market.
The announcement that 700MHz frequencies will be awarded to the three mobile operators Claro, Movistar and Entel in the first half of 2015 is an important step for the market. Claro, Movistar and Entel each won blocks of 700MHz spectrum in a March 2014 auction, h owever, the allocation had been delayed by a legal challenge which threatened to push the allocation back by two years. Uptake of 3G services in Chile has been among the strongest in the Latin America region, driven by a healthy competition between Claro, Movistar and Entel, with support from Subtel and the government. 4G services are also available from all three operators, however, with limited spectrum available for 4G, the growth of mobile broadband could potentially have put strain on operator networks, which have seen quality of service complaints increase during 2014. The allocation of 700MHz spectrum will relieve these network congestion problems, as well as expand internet access to rural areas of the population at a low cost, benefitting operators and consumers from low prices.
BMI Industry View
Table: Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data & Forecasts (Chile 2011-2018)
Table: Telecoms Sector - Wireline - Historical Data & Forecasts (Chile 2011-2018)
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Table: Latin America Risk/Reward Index, Q115
Table: Chile Mobile Market Regional Comparisons, Q413
Table: Chile Mobile Market, Q214
Mobile Operator Data
Table: Mobile Market Overview ('000)
Latin America Mobile Content
Table: Chile Local Access Market December 2013
Table: Fixed Broadband Connections By Technology ('000)
Table: Broadband Subscriptions By Operator ('000), 2011-2013
Industry Trends And Developments
Table: MNP Ports In 2013
Table: Chile Selected Trends And Developments
Table: Chile - Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities
Table: Key Companies - Chile Telecommunications Sector
Table: Selected Operators' Financial Indicators
Telef-nica M-viles (Movistar)
Table: Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise Business Partners By Region, May 2014
Table: Chile's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Chile's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Chile's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Chile's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Table: Glossary Of Terms
Industry Forecast Methodology
Risk/Reward Index Methodology
Table: Risk/Reward Index Indicators
Table: Weighting Of Indicators
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it