Pakistan Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2015
Headline Expenditure Projections
Risk/Reward Index: Pakistan's Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Index (RRI) score for Q115 is 41.7 out of 100. As a result its place in our rankings has risen to 15th, from 16th previously, out of the 19 markets in the Asia Pacific region.
- Pharmaceuticals: PKR209.43bn (USD2.06bn) in 2013 to PRK231.22bn (USD2.22bn) in 2014; +10.4% in local currency terms and +7.8% in US dollar terms.
- Healthcare: PKR717.84bn (USD7.07bn) in 2013 to PKR791.64bn (USD7.61bn) in 2014; +10.3% in local currency terms and +7.7% in US dollar terms.
Key Trends & Developments
- In September, officials revealed that the new government has put on hold plans to restructure the financing of healthcare projects. The restructuring plan created by the former government was intended to decentralise the system in an attempt to speed up decision making.
- In September, the Japanese government provided USD70,660 to Pakistan through the True Worth Foundation. These funds will go towards the improvement of the organisation's health centre in Chatta Bakhtawar, Islamabad. Estimates suggest that approximately 5,400 people from the outskirts of Islamabad will benefit from this project every year.
- In October, Pakistan recorded its 200 th new case of Polio in 2014. This is the highest transmission rate in the country for more than a dozen years, alarming health experts both locally and internationally. Pakistan now accounts for 80% of the global cases of Polio and is at risk of exporting the disease out of the country.
Pakistan holds great potential for pharmaceutical and healthcare companies, with the world's sixth largest population. However, poor medical infrastructure, low per capita incomes and the high levels of counterfeit medicines prevent the market from realising this potential. This leaves the majority of the population without access to healthcare, save for Pakistan's elite class who can afford innovative medicines.
BMI Industry View
Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts (Pakistan 2010-2018)
Healthcare Market Forecast
Table: Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Pakistan 2010-2018)
Table: Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Pakistan 2010-2018)
Table: Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Pakistan 2010-2018)
Prescription Drug Market Forecast
Table: Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Pakistan 2010-2018)
Patented Drug Market Forecast
Table: Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Pakistan 2010-2018)
Generic Drug Market Forecast
Table: Generics Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Pakistan 2010-2018)
OTC Medicine Market Forecast
Table: Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Pakistan 2010-2018)
Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecast (Pakistan 2012-2018)
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts local currency (Pakistan 2012-2018)
Other Healthcare Data
Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
Table: Pakistan - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Asia Risk/Reward Ratings
Pakistan Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
Table: Healthcare Facilities, 2001-2009
Table: Beds by Healthcare Facility, 2001-2009
Research & Development
Intellectual Property Regime
Domestic Pharmaceutical Industry
Foreign Pharmaceutical Industry
Recent Pharmaceutical Sector Developments
Searle Pakistan Limited
Efroze Chemical Industries
Table: Pakistan's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Pakistan's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Pakistan's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Pakistan's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Pharmaceutical Expenditure Forecast Model
Healthcare Expenditure Forecast Model
Notes On Methodology
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it