Slovenia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2015
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: EUR720mn (USD960mn) in 2013 to EUR700mn (USD940mn) in 2014; -2.2% in local currency terms and -1.3% in US dollar terms. Forecast unchanged from previous quarter.
- Healthcare: EUR3.1bn (USD4.1bn) in 2013 to EUR3.0bn (USD4.0bn) in 2014; -2.6% in local currency terms and -1.7% in US dollar terms. Forecast unchanged from previous quarter.
Slovenia scores 50.4 out of a total of 100 in our Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Index for Q115 - unchanged from the previous quarter. This places the country 11thin our index of 20 countries and below the average for the region, which is 51.0.
Key Trends & Developments
The Slovenia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
- In September 2014, in response to growing tensions between Western and Eastern Europe, Slovenian local industry players were reported to be in discussions with Indian pharmaceutical companies. Deep Kapuria, chairman of the Regional Committee on Central Europe at the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and chairman of Hi-Tech Group said: 'In high technology, India can gain from the R&D strengths of Slovenia. And Slovenian companies can work with Indian partners to expand in central Europe,' reports Business World.
- In the same month, Prime Minister Miro Cerar announced government plans to reform the healthcare system, alongside promises of fiscal responsibility and the privatisation of state-owned companies. This forms the new coalition government's strategy to pull Slovenia away from economic crisis.
- Exporters of end products to Russia, such as Krka,...
BMI's Slovenia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Slovenian pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's independent pharmaceutical and healthcare industry forecasts for Slovenia to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Slovenian pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Slovenian pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Slovenia.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and Competitive Landscape Tables.
BMI Industry View & Industry SWOT
An at-a-glance perspective on latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The SWOT outlines strategic factors which affect BMI's forecast analysis, and taken together with BMI's political, economic and business environment SWOTS, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
Snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as an analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
Focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, company M&As, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
BMI Industry Forecasts
Forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast, including:
Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (US$bn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (US$), hospital beds (per `000 population), doctors (per `000 population), birth and mortality rate (per `000 population)
Pharmaceutical market: Drug expenditure (US$bn), drug expenditure (% of GDP), drug expenditure per capita (US$)
Patented drug market: Prescription drug sales (US$bn), prescription sales (% of total sales), sales broken down by 14 therapeutic areas (cardiovascular, anti-infectives etc.)
Generic drug market: Generic product sales (US$bn), generic sales (% of total sales)
OTC drug market: OTC sales (US$bn), OTC sales (% of total sales), sales broken down by product types (analgesics, skin treatments, vitamins and minerals etc.)
Medical Devices: Medical device sales (US$bn), medical device sales (% of total healthcare market)
Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against US$, government expenditure, external debt.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and rankings by US$ sales and % share of total sales - for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics, and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
We have maintained our forecasts for Slovenia going into 2015. However, we caution that with the new coalition government in place, reform of the healthcare sector is imminent over the coming months in the attempt to bring the budget deficit down. As a result, going into 2015 and 2016 we anticipate that the focus will remain on local generic drugmakers, with limited opportunities for innovative multinational companies.
BMI Industry View
Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts (Slovenia 2012-2018)
Healthcare Market Forecast
Table: Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Slovenia 2010-2018)
Table: Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Slovenia 2010-2018)
Table: Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Slovenia 2010-2018)
Prescription Drug Market
Table: Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Slovenia 2010-2018)
Patented Drug Market Forecast
Table: Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Slovenia 2010-2018)
Table: Generics Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Slovenia 2010-2018)
OTC Medicine Market Forecast
Table: Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Slovenia 2010-2018)
Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (Slovenia 2012-2018)
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts local currency (Slovenia 2012-2018)
Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
Real GDP By Expenditure Breakdown
Risks To Outlook
Table: Slovenia - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Central And Eastern Europe Risk/Reward Ratings
Slovenia Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
Intellectual Property Regime
Recent Pharmaceutical Industry Developments
Merck & Co
Table: Slovenia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Slovenia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Slovenia's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Slovenia's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Pharmaceutical Expenditure Forecast Model
Healthcare Expenditure Forecast Model
Notes On Methodology
Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
Table: Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it