Chile Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2014
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: CLP1,724bn (USD3.5bn) in 2013 to CLP1,849bn (USD3.29bn) in 2014; +7.3% in local currency terms and -5.4% in US dollar terms.
- Healthcare: CLP10,237bn (USD20.66bn) in 2013 to CLP11,161bn (USD19.86bn) in 2014; +9.0% in local currency terms and -3.9% in US dollar terms.
Chile's RRR score for Q414 is 56.3 out of 100, with the company ranked sixth out of the 18 markets in the Americas matrix. This figure is unchanged from Q314.
Key Trends And Developments
BMI Economic View: Deteriorating investor sentiment and an ongoing slowdown in private...
- In July 2014, Chilean authorities put a policy in place, which alters decree 466/84 and applies to pharmacies, drug stores, pharmaceutical stores, kits and authorised areas. It requests the reduction of excessive drug use and a move to a more transparent pharmaceutical market.
- In May 2014, Abbott Laboratorie acquired CFR Pharmaceuticals. Abbott expects the acquisition to add approximately USD900mn to its sales in the first full year (2015), with expected double-digit sales growth over the next several years.
- In May 2014, Mexico-based Grupo Casa Saba (GCS) agreed to sell its pharmaceutical retail business to Alliance Boots. The transaction requires Alliance Boots to launch an all-cash tender offer for the outstanding fully diluted share capital of Farmacias Ahumada (FASA), which is listed on Chile's Santiago Stock Exchange. Currently, Casa Saba holds 97.89% of FASA's shares. The transaction was expected to be completed in Q314..
The Chile Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
BMI's Chile Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Chilean pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's independent pharmaceutical and healthcare industry forecasts for Chile to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Chilean pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Chilean pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Chile.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and Competitive Landscape Tables.
BMI Industry View & Industry SWOT
An at-a-glance perspective on latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The SWOT outlines strategic factors which affect BMI's forecast analysis, and taken together with BMI's political, economic and business environment SWOTS, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
Snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as an analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
Focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, company M&As, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
BMI Industry Forecasts
Forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast, including:
Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (US$bn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (US$), hospital beds (per `000 population), doctors (per `000 population), birth and mortality rate (per `000 population)
Pharmaceutical market: Drug expenditure (US$bn), drug expenditure (% of GDP), drug expenditure per capita (US$)
Patented drug market: Prescription drug sales (US$bn), prescription sales (% of total sales), sales broken down by 14 therapeutic areas (cardiovascular, anti-infectives etc.)
Generic drug market: Generic product sales (US$bn), generic sales (% of total sales)
OTC drug market: OTC sales (US$bn), OTC sales (% of total sales), sales broken down by product types (analgesics, skin treatments, vitamins and minerals etc.)
Medical Devices: Medical device sales (US$bn), medical device sales (% of total healthcare market)
Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against US$, government expenditure, external debt.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and rankings by US$ sales and % share of total sales - for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics, and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
Improving standards of intellectual property protection will provide incentives for both local and foreign pharmaceutical companies to have long-term strategies in Chile. In addition, Chile's open economy, relatively efficient legal framework, business-friendly environment and local drugmakers' strong Latin American presence will continue to attract multinational investment in the country.
BMI Industry View
Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts (Chile 2010-2018)
Healthcare Market Forecast
Table: Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Chile 2010-2018)
Table: Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Chile 2010-2018)
Table: Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Chile 2010-2018)
Prescription Drug Market Forecast
Table: Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Chile 2010-2018)
Patented Drug Market Forecast
Table: Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Chile 2010-2018)
Generic Drug Market Forecast
Table: Generics Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Chile 2010-2018)
OTC Medicine Market Forecast
Table: Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Chile 2010-2018)
Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (Chile 2012-2018)
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts local currency (Chile 2012-2018)
Other Healthcare Data
Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
Table: Chile - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Americas Risk/Reward Ratings
Chile Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
Table: Isapres Beneficiaries, 1990-2009
Table: Beneficiaries by Isapre Type, 2009
Healthcare Sector Developments
Table: Physicians by Specialty, 2000-2009
Research And Development
Table: Latin American Regulations On Bioequivalence And GMP
Intellectual Property Issues
Table: Pharmaceutical Price Build-up (%)
Pharmaceutical Retail Sector
Table: Pharmacy Sales Value by Sector, 2007-2008 (USDmn)
Laboratorios Chile (LabChile)
Corporaci-n Farmac-utica Recalcine (CFR)
Merck & Co
Other Company Developments
Table: Chile's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Chile's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Chile's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Chile's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Pharmaceutical Expenditure Forecast Model
Healthcare Expenditure Forecast Model
Notes On Methodology
Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
Table: Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it