South Korea Information Technology Report Q4 2014
Headline Expenditure Predictions
Key Trends And Developments
- Computer Hardware Sales: KRW14.0trn in 2014 to KRW17.6trn in 2018; compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of +5.8% in local currency terms. Increasing tablet and hybrid notebook demand will make a positive contribution to value growth over the medium term.
- Software Sales: KRW5.7trn in 2014 to KRW7.4trn in 2018, CAGR of 7.5% in local currency terms. The security software market is poised for strong growth due to tensions with North Korea, with local firms expected to benefit, while OS upgrades boosted spending in 2014.
- IT Services Sales: KRW8.8trn in 2014 to KRW12.8trn in 2018, CAGR of 10.0% in local currency terms. South Korean IT services adoption trails developed markets, but it is developing a leading position in emerging technologies, such as cloud computing, big data analytics and the Internet of Things.
The threat to the development of South Korea's IT market, and indeed the security of its economy and society, was highlighted in September 2014 when Hewlett Packard's security research team outlined threats emanating from North Korea's cyber warfare infrastructure including distributed...
The South Korea Information Technology Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s market assessment and independent forecasts covering personal computers and software; semi-conductors, memory chips, integrated circuits and general components; the internet and IT solutions. It analyses analyses regulatory changes (licensing, customs and intellectual property protection) and competitive landscapes comparing IT companies by products, sales, market share, investments, projects and expansion strategies.
BMI's South Korea Information Technology Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, IT associations, government departments and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the IT industry in South Korea.
- Benchmark BMI's independent IT Industry forecasts for South Korea to test other views - a key input for successful budgetary and strategic business planning in the Korean IT market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in South Korea's IT sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes, and major deals, projects and investments in South Korea.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts, views and trend analysis covering IT, regulatory changes, major investments and projects and significant national and multinational company developments.
Cross-border analysis of regional markets, commenting on IT penetration (PC and internet) and market growth drivers (IT market size and IT market compound growth).
Country Market Overview
Structure, size and value of the industry sectors including hardware, software and services; overview of the industry landscape and key players; assessment of the business operating environment and the latest regulatory developments and government authority.
BMI Industry Forecasts
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below), supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast, including:
IT Sector: IT industry value (US$bn); IT sector contribution to GDP (%); value of hardware, software and services industry (US$mn); PC, peripherals and software imports and exports (US$mn); PC, peripherals and software sales (US$mn); number of PCs (`000); PCs/100 inhabitants; internet users (`000); internet users per 100 inhabitants; broadband subscribers (`000); broadband subscribers per 100 inhabitants.
Economy: Economic growth (%); nominal GDP (US$bn); unemployment (%); interest rates (%); exchange rate (against US$).
BMI Macroeconomic Forecast
BMI forecasts for all headline macroeconomic indicators to end-2018 including real GDP growth, inflation, fiscal balance, trade balance, current account and external debt.
Full analysis of the competitive landscape within the hardware, software and services sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
We expect spending g rowth in the South Korean IT market will be considerably lower than emerging markets in APAC, but considering the advanced state of the South Korean market, these growth rates are robust , particularly in comparison to EU markets . T he South Korean IT market is forecast to grow at a CAGR of 7. 5 % 2014-2018 to reach a value of KRW 37.9 trn in 2018. One reason for a relatively bullish outlook is the relatively underdeveloped software and services segment in South Korea, which give s great potential for growth when considered in the context of government efforts to promote emerging technologies. Meanwhile, in the hardware market , demand will be supported by short replacement cycles and demand for the latest innovative devices such as tablets and hybrids.
BMI Industry View
Table: IT Industry - Historical Data And Forecasts (South Korea 2011-2018)
Developed Markets, Investment Spending To Support Growth
Outlook Not All Rosy
Table: Economic Activity (South Korea 2009-2018)
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Table: Asia-Pacific Risk/Reward Ratings - Q3 2014
Industry Trends And Developments
Table: Regulatory Authorities
Table: Major Cyber Attacks And Information Leaks
Table: Hewlett Packard
Table: SK Hynix
Table: Penta Security Systems
Table: Infraware Inc
Table: South Korea's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: South Korea's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: South Korea's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: South Korea's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Industry Forecast Methodology
Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
Table: It Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
Table: Weighting Of Components
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it