Spain Telecommunications Report Q4 2014
Key Trends And Developments
- The mobile market contracted by 1mn in Q114, reaching 47.914mn.
- The disconnection of active subscribers had helped stabilise APRU rates but these continue to decline because of consumers' heightened price sensitivity and the continued implementation of mobile termination rate cuts.
- Dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions have not recovered, according to the Comisión del Mercado de las Telecomunicaciones.
- FTTH subscriptions increased by 83% in 2013, reaching 609,000 subscribers.
The Spain Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Spain's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
- Telefónica has closed the acquisition of a 56% stake in Distribuidora de Television Digital (Digital+), also known as Canal+, for a reported EUR750mn (USD1.02bn). Telefónica bought the stake from media group Prisa, bringing Telefónica's holding in Digital+ to 78%, as it previously owned a 22% share. The remaining 22% is held by Italian broadcaster Mediaset, which has the right of first refusal. Digital+ has a strong presence in the Spanish pay-TV market through its...
BMI's Spain Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Spain.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Spain to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Spanish telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Spain's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Spain.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts and views, covering the ICT, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
Business Environment Rankings
BMI's Telecommunications Business Environment Rankings provides a country-comparative Risk-Reward Rankings index aimed at investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) in the regional telecoms market.
The rankings methodology makes sophisticated use of more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
Market Data Analysis
- Fixed-Line Telephony - Telephone lines ('000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony - Mobile phone subscribers ('000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; mobile phone subscribers/100 fixed line subscribers.
- Internet Markets - Internet users ('000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers ('000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data - Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout - Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and value-added handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content - The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators. Including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
- Company Database - A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. The latest updates in the market's development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses.
The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
The trend towards consolidation continues apace in Spain, with Telefónica closing a deal for Digital+, following Vodafone's acquisition of Ono and rumours surrounding Jazztel and Yoigo as possible targets. The larger players are facing massive investments in 4G and fibre as Spain moves to next-generation networks . However, weak consumer demand and fierce competition has caused a significant drop in prices, as smaller companies such as Yoigo make an impact. C onsolidation is therefore an attractive concept for the larger players, reducing the overall level of competition in the sector and acquiring additional resources. The early returns on these investments is promising, with Orange reporting its 4G base had exceeded 1mn subscribers and FTTH connections rising by 83% in 2013. We expect M&A trends to continue over the next year or two, as the telecoms sector is facing a slow recovery throughout mobile, fixed line, broadband and pay-TV.
BMI Industry View
Table: Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data & Forecasts (Spain 2011-2018)
Table: Telecoms Sector - Wireline - Historical Data & Forecasts (Spain 2011-2018)
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Changes At The Top
Table: Western Europe Telecoms - Risk/Rewards Ratings, Q314
Table: Spain's Mobile Market Regional Comparisons, 2013
Table: Spain's Mobile Market, Q114
Table: Net Additions By Subscription Type, Q312-Q114 ('000)
Table: Spanish MVNOs And Their Relationships, YE2011
Mobile Operator Tables
Table: Market Overview, March 2012-March 2014 ('000, unless otherwise stated)
Table: Movistar, March 2012-March 2014
Table: Vodafone, March 2012-March 2014
Table: Orange, March 2012-March 2014
Table: Yoigo, March 2012-March 2014
Western Europe Mobile Content
Interoperable M-Commerce A Stronger Proposition
Positioning Key To M2M Success
Regaining Control Of The Bill
Table: Broadband Subscriptions By Technology, Q411-Q413 ('000)
Industry Trends And Developments
Table: Key Developments
Table: Regulatory Framework
Table: Key Developments
Table: Key Players In Spain Telecoms Sector
Table: Selected Operators' Financial Indicators
INSIDE Secure: New Strategy, New Deals
Revenue Growth Momentum Recovers In Q413
Table: INSIDE Secure - Key Performance Indicators (USD '000)
Strengthening Mobile Security Proposition
Acquisition Bolsters Security Capabilities
New Licensing Deal With Intel Offsets Exposure To BlackBerry
Table: Spain's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Spain's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Spain's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Spain's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Table: Glossary Of Terms
Industry Forecast Methodology
Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
Table: Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
Table: Weighting Of Indicators
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it