Brazil Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2014
Headline Expenditure Projections
Risk/Reward Rating: Brazil scores 62.7 in BMI's Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Risk/Reward Ratings (RRR), making it the fourth most attractive pharmaceutical market in the Americas. We highlight that Brazil will continue to be the most important market for multinationals in Latin America. Its position has been very well reflected by this quarter's RRR scores.
- Pharmaceuticals: BRL57.0bn (USD26.4bn) in 2013 to BRL62.0bn (USD26.6bn) in 2014; +8.8% in local currency terms and +0.8% in US dollar terms. Forecast revised upwards from Q 3 14 due to changes to macroeconomic forecast.
- Healthcare: BRL449.4bn (USD208.2bn) in 2013 to BRL491.8bn (USD211.1bn) in 2014; +9.4% in local currency terms and +1.4% in US dollar terms. Forecast revised upwards from Q 3 14 due to changes to historical data.
Key Trends And Developments
The Brazil Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
- In July 2014, Amgen revealed that its revenues in Brazil increased by 54% in H114. It plans to double its patented drug portfolio from five products to ten by 2020.
- In July 2014, Brazil's Senate Social Affairs Committee approved a law to create a social fund from drilling royalties that the Brazilian government receives from oilfields in the pre-salt layer to be invested into education and healthcare.
- In July 2014, the Brazilian government increased the number of substances used in the production of medicinal products that are exempt from PIS, COFINS and Pasep taxes in Brazil.
- In June 2014, the National Health Surveillance Agency (ANVISA) approved its national research...
BMI's Brazil Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Brazilian pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's independent pharmaceutical and healthcare industry forecasts for Brazil to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Brazilian pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Brazilian pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Brazil.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and Competitive Landscape Tables.
BMI Industry View & Industry SWOT
An at-a-glance perspective on latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The SWOT outlines strategic factors which affect BMI's forecast analysis, and taken together with BMI's political, economic and business environment SWOTS, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
Snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as an analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
Focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, company M&As, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
BMI Industry Forecasts
Forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast, including:
Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (US$bn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (US$), hospital beds (per `000 population), doctors (per `000 population), birth and mortality rate (per `000 population)
Pharmaceutical market: Drug expenditure (US$bn), drug expenditure (% of GDP), drug expenditure per capita (US$)
Patented drug market: Prescription drug sales (US$bn), prescription sales (% of total sales), sales broken down by 14 therapeutic areas (cardiovascular, anti-infectives etc.)
Generic drug market: Generic product sales (US$bn), generic sales (% of total sales)
OTC drug market: OTC sales (US$bn), OTC sales (% of total sales), sales broken down by product types (analgesics, skin treatments, vitamins and minerals etc.)
Medical Devices: Medical device sales (US$bn), medical device sales (% of total healthcare market)
Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against US$, government expenditure, external debt.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and rankings by US$ sales and % share of total sales - for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics, and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
Brazil's traditional commitment to healthcare, strong government support for the provision of medical services, promising private healthcare growth and the expanding middle-class mean that there are significant revenue-generating opportunities for drugmakers, medical device companies and healthcare service providers. However, multinationals will continue to face increasing government intervention and domestic competition .
BMI Industry View
Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts (Brazil 2010-2018)
Healthcare Market Forecast
Table: Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Brazil 2010-2018)
Table: Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Brazil 2010-2018)
Table: Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Brazil 2010-2018)
Prescription Drug Market Forecast
Table: Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Brazil 2010-2018)
Patented Drug Market Forecast
Table: Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Brazil 2010-2018)
Generic Drug Market Forecast
Table: Generic Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Brazil 2010-2018)
OTC Medicine Market Forecast
Table: Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Brazil 2010-2018)
Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts, USDmn (Brazil 2012-2018)
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts, BRLmn (Brazil 2012-2018)
Other Healthcare Data
Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
Table: Brazil - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Americas Risk/Reward Ratings
Brazil Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
Compassionate Use Programmes
Research & Development
Table: Brazilian Government's Partnership Deals With Multinationals
Intellectual Property Regime
Table: Top 20 Pharmaceutical Companies In Brazil By Sales In 2010
Table: Hypermarcas' Major Acquisitions, 2005-11
Pharmaceutical Distribution Sector
Pharmaceutical Retail Sector
Merck & Co
Table: GSK'S Strong Collaborative Efforts In Public-Private Partnerships (Ppps) In Brazil
Table: Brazil's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Brazil's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Brazil's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Brazil's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Pharmaceutical Expenditure Forecast Model
Healthcare Expenditure Forecast Model
Notes On Methodology
Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
Table: Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it