Mexico Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2014
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: MXN171.4bn (USD13.4bn) in 2013 to MXN182.4bn (USD14.2bn) in 2014; +6.4% in local currency terms and +5.7% in US dollar terms. Forecast decreased from Q 3 14 due to increasing generic competition.
- Healthcare: MXN953.1bn (USD72.46bn) in 2013 to MXN1,031.6bn (USD86.96bn) in 2014; +8.3% in local currency terms and +7.6% in US dollar terms. Forecast de creased from Q 3 14 due to revised historical data .
Mexico scores 60.6 in BMI's Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Risk/Reward Rating (RRR), making it the fifth-most attractive pharmaceutical market in the region.
Key Trends And Developments
- In July 2014, Swiss drugmaker Roche Diagnostic launched its first diagnostic innovation in Mexico.
- In June 2014 Mexico's health ministry began the first consolidated drug purchasing, which will supply the pharmaceutical sector until December. Around MXN500mn (USD38.29mn) will be invested to purchase all kinds of drugs from 80 approved laboratories.
- In June 2014, Mexico's Eighth Judicial District Court has denied sanction to US-based drugmaker Merck that sought to extend the 20-year patent for a cancer drug, Zolinza (vorinostat).
- In May 2014, Mexico's Federal Commission for Protection against Health Risks (Cofepris) announced that the health ministries of Mexico and South Korea have collaborated to promote the exchange of medicines, medical equipment and cosmetics between the two countries.
- In May 2014, Endo...
The Mexico Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
BMI's Mexico Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Mexican pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's independent pharmaceutical and healthcare industry forecasts for Mexico to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Mexican pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Mexican pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Mexico.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and Competitive Landscape Tables.
BMI Industry View & Industry SWOT
An at-a-glance perspective on latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The SWOT outlines strategic factors which affect BMI's forecast analysis, and taken together with BMI's political, economic and business environment SWOTS, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
Snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as an analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
Focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, company M&As, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
BMI Industry Forecasts
Forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast, including:
Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (US$bn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (US$), hospital beds (per `000 population), doctors (per `000 population), birth and mortality rate (per `000 population)
Pharmaceutical market: Drug expenditure (US$bn), drug expenditure (% of GDP), drug expenditure per capita (US$)
Patented drug market: Prescription drug sales (US$bn), prescription sales (% of total sales), sales broken down by 14 therapeutic areas (cardiovascular, anti-infectives etc.)
Generic drug market: Generic product sales (US$bn), generic sales (% of total sales)
OTC drug market: OTC sales (US$bn), OTC sales (% of total sales), sales broken down by product types (analgesics, skin treatments, vitamins and minerals etc.)
Medical Devices: Medical device sales (US$bn), medical device sales (% of total healthcare market)
Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against US$, government expenditure, external debt.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and rankings by US$ sales and % share of total sales - for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics, and distribution sub-sectors.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
The lack of a unified reimbursement system, the absence of widespread private health insurance, relatively low healthcare spending and the promotion of generic drugs in Mexico will continue to undermine revenue-generating opportunities for innovative drugmakers. However, over the long term, healthier fiscal revenue due to energy reform will encourage the Mexican government to further increase public spending on medical services and improve national healthcare standards. .
BMI Industry View
Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts (Mexico 2010-2018)
Healthcare Market Forecast
Table: Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Mexico 2010-2018)
Table: Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Mexico 2010-2018)
Table: Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Mexico 2010-2018)
Prescription Drug Market Forecast
Table: Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Mexico 2010-2018)
Patented Drug Market Forecast
Table: Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Mexico 2010-2018)
Generic Drug Market Forecast
Table: Generics Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Mexico 2010-2018)
OTC Medicine Market Forecast
Table: Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts (Mexico 2010-2018)
Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecast (Mexico 2012-2018)
Table: Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts local currency (Mexico 2012-2018)
Other Healthcare Data
Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
Table: Mexico - GDP By Expenditure, Real Growth %
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Americas Risk/Reward Ratings
Mexico Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
Healthcare Sector Funding
Table: Selected Countries' Medical Tourism Prices In 2011 (USD)
Table: List Of Hospitals In Mexico With Joint Commission International (JCI) Accreditation
Research & Development
Table: Clinical Trial Regulation In Mexico
Biologics And Biosimilar Guidelines
Intellectual Property Issues
Intellectual Property Challenges
Table: Mexican Marketing Applications In Alleged Violation Of Patent Rights
Pricing & Reimbursement
Other Regulatory Developments
Table: AstraZeneca Sales, 2005-10
Pharmaceutical Retail Sector
Table: IMSS Financial Indicators, 2000-11 (MXNmn)
Table: SPSS Budget, 2004-11 (MXNmn)
Table: Mexico's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Mexico's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Mexico's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Mexico's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Pharmaceutical Expenditure Forecast Model
Healthcare Expenditure Forecast Model
Notes On Methodology
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it