Greece Telecommunications Report Q4 2014
- Mobile subscription addition rates were weaker in Q114 than had been expected, possibly due to the discounting of inactive subscriptions. Subscriptions declined by 0.2% q-o-q to 15.501mn.
- Operators may yet be holding onto a large number of technically inactive mobile subscriptions and it is likely future quarters will see similar slumps in the total number of registered subscriptions as inactive accounts are closed.
- The inclusion of inactive or rarely-used subscriptions weighs on ARPU figures disclosed by operators. Cosmote continued to outpace Vodafone in blended ARPU in Q114, with the latter recording ARPU erosion linked to termination rate reductions, as well as a winnowing of its subscription records. BMI forecasts ARPUs to continue declining from 2014 to 2018.
The Greece Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Greece's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Greece Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Greece.Key Benefits
CoverageBMI Industry View
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Greece to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Greek telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Greece's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Greece.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts and views, covering the ICT, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G), internet and broadband markets.Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.Business Environment Rankings
BMI's Telecommunications Business Environment Rankings provides a country-comparative Risk-Reward Rankings index aimed at investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) in the regional telecoms market.
The rankings methodology makes sophisticated use of more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
Market Data Analysis
- Fixed-Line Telephony - Telephone lines ('000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony - Mobile phone subscribers ('000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; mobile phone subscribers/100 fixed line subscribers.
- Internet Markets - Internet users ('000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers ('000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data - Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout - Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and value-added handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content - The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators. Including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
- Company Database - A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. The latest updates in the market's development and regulatory rulings.Company Profiles
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses.
The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
The Greek telecommunications sector appears poised for a significant overhaul as Vodafone sees an opportunity to intensify its competitive assault on the dominant provider, OTE . OTE has taken steps to fend off the rising competition, making an acquisition bid for wireline operator Forthnet's pay-TV business in July 2014, only to see tradi tional rivals WIND and Vodafone pool their minority shares, together adding up to nearly 40%, in order to thwart OTE's plans. In the meantime, Vodafone is also said to be preparing to buy out its partners in another wireline operator, Hellas Online .Vodafone's transformation into a converged services provider has long been expected in Greece and with OTE preparing a comeback with an expanded wireline portfolio, Vodafone must act swiftly . Greece certainly needs a compelling alternative to OTE and we believe Vodafone has the scale and the expertise to create such a player. The economic outlook remains bleak and consumer spending will remain depressed in 2014, however, so Vodafone will have to be prepared for a long term commitment to the Greek telecoms market to see a return on its investment.
BMI Industry View
Table: Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data & Forecasts (Greece 2012-2018)
Table: Telecoms Sector - Wireline - Historical Data & Forecasts (Greece 2012-2018)
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Changes At The Top
Table: Western Europe Telecoms - Risk/Rewards Ratings, Q314
Table: Greece Mobile Market Regional Comparisons, 2013
Table: Greek Mobile Market, Q413
Mobile Operator Data
Table: Market Overview
Table: WIND Hellas
Western Europe Mobile Content
Interoperable M-Commerce A Stronger Proposition
Positioning Key To M2M Success
Regaining Control Of The Bill
Table: Greek Fixed-Line Market - Total Voice Minutes, Q412 And Q411 (mn)
Table: Greece's Fixed Broadband Market, Q413
Table: Alternative Operators' LLU Connections, 2012-2013
Industry Trends And Developments
Table: Greece Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities
Legisation And Market Liberalisation
Table: Key Players - Greece Telecoms Sector
Table: Selected Operators' Finance Performance
Hellenic Telecommunications Organization (OTE)
Hellas Online (HOL)
INSIDE Secure: New Strategy, New Deals
Revenue Growth Momentum Recovers In Q413
Table: INSIDE Secure - Key Performance Indicators (USD '000)
Strengthening Mobile Security Proposition
Acquisition Bolsters Security Capabilities
New Licensing Deal With Intel Offsets Exposure To BlackBerry
Table: Greece's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Table: Greece's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Table: Greece's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Table: Greece's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Table: Glossary Of Terms
Industry Forecast Methodology
Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
Table: Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
Table: Weighting Of Indicators
This report does not have a list of Companies Mentioned available
This report does not have a press release associated with it