Headline Expenditure Projections
- Computer hardware sales: RON2.8bn in 2013 to RON3.0bn in 2014, +7.9% in local currency terms. Relatively low PC penetration means vendors can target first-time buyers, as well as the upgrade/replacement market.
- Software sales: RON805mn in 2013 to RON871mn in 2014, +9.0% in local currency terms. Piracy continues to hold back growth rates, but the enterprise resource planning (ERP) market is developing rapidly as SMEs modernise.
- IT Services Sales: RON1.14bn in 2013 to RON1.26bn in 2014, +12.0% in local currency terms. Romania is already a popular destination for outsourcing, with vendors continuing to invest in nearshore centres for EMEA, and we expect this trend will continue in 2014.
Key Trends And Developments
BMI highlights the potential for cybersecurity risks to undermine Romania's continued development as an outsourcing destination in CEE. Major vendors already invested in Romania include Microsoft - which created its biggest technical support centre in Europe in Bucharest - Oracle, HP, Wipro, Accenture, Intel and IBM. However, with Romania...
The Romania Information Technology Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s market assessment and independent forecasts covering personal computers and software; semi-conductors, memory chips, integrated circuits and general components; the internet and IT solutions. It analyses analyses regulatory changes (licensing, customs and intellectual property protection) and competitive landscapes comparing IT companies by products, sales, market share, investments, projects and expansion strategies.
BMI's Romania Information Technology Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, IT associations, government departments and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the IT industry in Romania.Key Benefits
CoverageBMI Industry View
- Benchmark BMI's independent IT Industry forecasts for Romania to test other views - a key input for successful budgetary and strategic business planning in the Romanian IT market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Romania's IT sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes, and major deals, projects and investments in Romania.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. KPIs and latest activity).
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts, views and trend analysis covering IT, regulatory changes, major investments and projects and significant national and multinational company developments.Regional Overview
Cross-border analysis of regional markets, commenting on IT penetration (PC and internet) and market growth drivers (IT market size and IT market compound growth).Country Market Overview
Structure, size and value of the industry sectors including hardware, software and services; overview of the industry landscape and key players; assessment of the business operating environment and the latest regulatory developments and government authority.BMI Industry Forecasts
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below), supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast, including:
IT Sector: IT industry value (US$bn); IT sector contribution to GDP (%); value of hardware, software and services industry (US$mn); PC, peripherals and software imports and exports (US$mn); PC, peripherals and software sales (US$mn); number of PCs (`000); PCs/100 inhabitants; internet users (`000); internet users per 100 inhabitants; broadband subscribers (`000); broadband subscribers per 100 inhabitants.
Economy: Economic growth (%); nominal GDP (US$bn); unemployment (%); interest rates (%); exchange rate (against US$).BMI Macroeconomic Forecast
BMI forecasts for all headline macroeconomic indicators to end-2018 including real GDP growth, inflation, fiscal balance, trade balance, current account and external debt.Competitive Landscape
Full analysis of the competitive landscape within the hardware, software and services sectors.Company Profiles
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI's industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
The Romania IT market is forecast to expand over the medium term, and outperfrom many markets in the region. We forecast total IT market spending will increase to RON5.17bn in 2014, growth of 9.1% in local currency terms from 2013. Spending growth is forecast to gain momentum from 2014 as the economy recovers and consumer and enterprise confidence strengthens. Income growth will support retail hardware spending growth, while improvements to telecommunications infrastructure is forecast to accelerate the development of Romania as an outsourcing and cloud computing market. The ongoing transformation of political and economic structures, driven domestically and by EU accession, will also provide opportunities. Regional economic instability could derail this bullish outlook, but the wider region could also drive the market to a higher growth trajectory.