GlobalData has released its new PharmaPoint Drug Evaluation report, "Zometa (Prostate Cancer) - Forecast and Market Analysis to 2022". The recent approvals of second-line metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC) therapies like J&J's Zytiga (abiraterone acetate) and Medivation/Astellas' Xtandi (enzalutamide) will drive strong market growth over the next decade. These safe and orally administered treatments will provide safety and convenience benefits over the current standard of care, chemotherapy with docetaxel, while prolonging the overall survival of patients with mCRPC. The December 12, 2012 FDA approval of Zytiga for the added indication of chemotherapy-naive mCRPC marks the onset of a new treatment paradigm for the disease, in which chemotherapy is relegated to second-line therapy and beyond. For patients with earlier-stage prostate cancer, androgen deprivation therapy with LHRH agonists and first-generation antiandrogens remains the standard of care for suppressing testosterone levels and temporarily controlling the disease.
Novartis' Zometa is a bisphosphonate indicated for the treatment of bone metastases in patients with CRPC, other solid tumors, and multiple myeloma. Its active ingredient, zoledronic acid, inhibits osteoclastic activity and induces apoptosis in osteoclasts, the cells responsible for bone resorption (Zometa Prescribing Information, 2012). This helps prevent the SREs that are a common symptom of bone metastases. Zometa has also been shown to inhibit the increase in osteoclast activity resulting from various stimulatory factors released by tumors. Although Zometa has been a blockbuster, worldwide patent expiries between 2012 and 2013 will open the door for generic competition and undoubtedly erode its sales (Novartis Annual Report, 2011).
- Overview of Prostate cancer, including epidemiology, etiology, symptoms, diagnosis, pathology and treatment guidelines as well as an overview on the competitive landscape.
- Detailed information on Xgeva including product description, safety and efficacy profiles as well as a SWOT analysis.
- Sales forecast for Xgeva for the top nine countries from 2012 to 2022.
- Sales information covered for the US, Japan, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy , Canada, and Australia
Reasons to buy
- Understand and capitalize by identifying products that are most likely to ensure a robust return
- Stay ahead of the competition by understanding the changing competitive landscape for Prostate cancer
- Effectively plan your M&A and partnership strategies by identifying drugs with the most promising sales potential
- Make more informed business decisions from insightful and in-depth analysis of Xgeva performance
- Obtain sales forecast for Xgeva from 2012-2022 in nine markets (US, Japan, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy , Canada, and Australia)