GlobalData has released its new PharmaPoint Drug Evaluation report, "Lupron Depot (Prostate Cancer) - Forecast and Market Analysis to 2022". The recent approvals of second-line metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC) therapies like J&J's Zytiga (abiraterone acetate) and Medivation/Astellas' Xtandi (enzalutamide) will drive strong market growth over the next decade. These safe and orally administered treatments will provide safety and convenience benefits over the current standard of care, chemotherapy with docetaxel, while prolonging the overall survival of patients with mCRPC. The December 12, 2012 FDA approval of Zytiga for the added indication of chemotherapy-naive mCRPC marks the onset of a new treatment paradigm for the disease, in which chemotherapy is relegated to second-line therapy and beyond. For patients with earlier-stage prostate cancer, androgen deprivation therapy with LHRH agonists and first-generation antiandrogens remains the standard of care for suppressing testosterone levels and temporarily controlling the disease.
Abbott's and Takeda's Lupron Depot is a subcutaneously- or intramuscularly-delivered GnRH analogue used to treat advanced androgen-dependent prostate cancers. It was originally developed by TAP Pharmaceuticals, a now-dissolved collaboration between Abbott and Takeda. It is currently marketed by Abbott in the US, Canada, and Australia, and by Takeda in the 5EU and Japan. Lupron Depot is classified as an LHRH receptor agonist, which binds to the LHRH receptor and prevents the pituitary gland from secreting luteinizing hormone. Luteinizing hormone stimulates the testes to produce testosterone, and consequently LHRH analogs are commonly used in ADT regimens for the treatment of prostate cancer. Leuprolide acetate, the active ingredient in Lupron Depot, is encapsulated in polylactic acid microspheres that biodegrade and slowly release leuprolide acetate (TGA, 2010).
- Overview of Prostate cancer, including epidemiology, etiology, symptoms, diagnosis, pathology and treatment guidelines as well as an overview on the competitive landscape.
- Detailed information on Lupron Depot including product description, safety and efficacy profiles as well as a SWOT analysis.
- Sales forecast for Lupron Depot for the top nine countries from 2012 to 2022.
- Sales information covered for the US, Japan, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy , Canada, and Australia
Reasons to buy
- Understand and capitalize by identifying products that are most likely to ensure a robust return
- Stay ahead of the competition by understanding the changing competitive landscape for Prostate cancer
- Effectively plan your M&A and partnership strategies by identifying drugs with the most promising sales potential
- Make more informed business decisions from insightful and in-depth analysis of Lupron Depot performance
- Obtain sales forecast for Lupron Depot from 2012-2022 in nine markets (US, Japan, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy , Canada, and Australia)