The remote retail sector is set to continue its recent strong performance in 2012 as online continues to drive the market. Online will be driven by more people gaining access to the internet and a greater proportion of those with access purchasing through the channel. However, as online matures, growth is set to slow and retailers will therefore have to adjust their offer to maintain growth.
- Gain an understanding of the key issues set to impact upon the market in the next five years and how to position yourself to capitalise on this.
- Develop new strategies based upon our forecasts for the different channels over the next five years.
The remote market will grow by 11.4% in 2012 to GBP36,264m, with online driving this. The number of people with access for first time, up 3.6% on 2011, will drive this. However, growth will slow from 2011 onwards as online matures. TV shopping will also struggle as coverage is now total while offline mail order declines as shoppers shift to online.
More retailers are developing thier offline presence through thier own stores and collection points. While this benefits the remote retailer, as this can boost awareness of its offer and drive traffic to its websites, there are a number of challenges which remote retailers must consider such as space constraints and the number of stores they run.
Social media was used by remote retailers for promotion but it is now being used more to lead to transactions. This includes streaming live content on such websites and sharing potential purchases with friends. While potential exists to drive sales through this channel, it must be compelling and implicitly encourage purchases or it may be rebuffed.
Reasons to Get this Report
- In what ways are the remote and high street channels merging and how can remote retailers take advantage of these changes?
- How can retailers in struggling channels improve performance by encouraging greater online spend?
- Which retailers are set to make the greatest gains in the overall remote market, online, through direct mail order and agency mail order?