In terms of global inbound tourist volume, China is the world's third most attractive travel and tourism destination, behind the US and France. According to the UN's World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), China's travel and tourism industry contributed 8.3% of the country's GDP in 2010. By 2016, it is expected that this contribution will increase to 9%. Throughout the review period, the Chinese tourism industry recorded strong growth, managing to effectively weather the global financial crisis in 2009. The Chinese tourism industry recorded a CAGR of 9.24% over the review period, driven by the government's investment of US$3.7 billion into the industry. Over the forecast period, the total volume of Chinese tourists is expected to record a CAGR of 8.45% due to the country's growing economy, government initiatives and the development of tourism infrastructure.
- China hosted major international events such as the 2008 Olympic Games, the Asian Games and the Shanghai Expo that resulted in increased volumes of inbound tourists.
- The Chinese Government is planning to invest CNY7.3 trillion (US$1.16 trillion) in upgrading the country's transport infrastructure.
- China is also rapidly developing its status as a business hub, with an increasing number of businesses being based in the country and global events and conferences attracting high numbers of business tourists.
- Tourism is expected to rise in China during the forecast period due to the country's growing economy, government initiatives and the development of tourism infrastructure.
This report provides an extensive analysis of the travel and tourism market in China:
- It details historical values for the Chinese travel and tourism industry for 2007-2011, along with forecast figures for 2012-2016
- It provides top-level analysis of the overall travel and tourism market, as well as individual category values for both the 2007-2011 review period and the 2012-2016 forecast period
- The report makes a detailed analysis and projection of tourist spending in China
- The report profiles the top travel and tourism companies in China
Reasons to Purchase
- Take strategic business decisions using top-level historic and forecast market data related to the Chinese travel and tourism industry and each sector within it
- Understand the demand and supply-side dynamics within the Chinese travel and tourism industry, along with key market trends and growth opportunities
- Assess the competitive landscape in the travel and tourism market in China, and formulate effective market-entry strategies
- Identify the growth opportunities and industry dynamics within the Chinese tourism industry's key categories, including transportation, accommodation and travel intermediaries